Nike+

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SRLMJ23, Sep 11, 2011.

1. SRLMJ23 macrumors 65816

SRLMJ23

I just ordered some kicks that are Nike+ compatible, I also just ordered the chip from Apple that you put in the sneaker.

I'm just wondering how many people out there use this feature and if you do how is the experience? What are things you can do etc...

Thanks for the info in advance!!!

2. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

I'm pretty sure it keeps track of your steps, like a pedometer, and measure calories burned and just is like a health tracker. Never used it, but that is what I believe it does.

3. blancoBronco macrumors 6502a

blancoBronco

it can count steps, but also measure the distance you've run and calories you've burned. you can save workouts completed and track your process. you can also set a specific song to play when you choose to "motivate you" called a power song

4. NicoleRichie macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

It's great. I have done a little over 2k miles with it. I recently switched to the Nike gps app (no need for the sensor in the shoe). Once you get it calibrated it is really accurate. Some days my phone does not respond well or has a weak gps signal, on those days the shoe sensor is more accurate. Set goals and challange other on the Nike plus network. Good luck!

5. AreYouIn? macrumors 6502a

AreYouIn?

I use the Nike gps app. I love it. I just went for a run this morning. You don't need a sensor with it. It tracks everything through gps and you can see your pace on a map with different colors indicating different paces. I also play Nike tag with a friend of mine through it.

6. bripab007 macrumors 6502

I use both the stock Nike+ "iPod" app that requires the sensor and the Nike+ GPS app. The sensor is great for a) running on a treadmill indoors (no GPS signal or geographic distance traveled) and b) cloudy days or in the woods where you might not get a good GPS lock.

The sensor actually measures more than just steps taken (a la pedometers), it measures the time between strikes, and this is how it can accurately calculate distance and speed.

7. twitt3r macrumors 6502

Or you could just run a known distance and time yourself...cadence is something that should come naturally to somebody who considers themselves experienced enough to want to augment their regime with needless technology.

8. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Or they could use the technology that is available to them instead of taking the time to map out a "known distance" and using a ten year old stopwatch.

Needless as you may see it, technology is everywhere and in everything.

Get with the times, man!. :rolleyes:

9. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Just because you don't personally see the benefit of it is no reason to call it "needless".

I use a combination of Runmeter (app) and Runkeeper (site) and I find running apps to be an excellent motivator as well as a great way to keep track of my runs/log improvements, etc.

In fact, with my community of friends posting our data we motivate each other.