Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bimbalbamble

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2009
Liverpool, UK
Hello Mercer,

I was hoping to train up and do a marathon with you. It's going to take a few years till i can even think about doing that desert thing with you...:)

Mercer

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2008
North West, UK
Hello Mercer,

I was hoping to train up and do a marathon with you. It's going to take a few years till i can even think about doing that desert thing with you...:)

Well if we ever meet up in person, then that will be cool :) but im not a good runner. im more of a lounger:cool::apple:

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
My wife bought me a Nike+ sensor for my birthday and I love it! I don't have the Nike+ enabled shoes, I just have a little pouch that attaches to my shoelaces with velcro.

I think one of the coolest things about it is looking at your runs on their website. You can also select from a bunch of different training coaches that help you train for different things (like running a marathon, etc).

If you're a runner or even a walker that wants to track distance, calories burned, etc, I would highly recommend it.

Bimbalbamble

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2009
Liverpool, UK
LOL yeah your a real couch potato.

Have you ever used it tho? :confused:

My wife bought me a Nike+ sensor for my birthday and I love it! I don't have the Nike+ enabled shoes, I just have a little pouch that attaches to my shoelaces with velcro.

I think one of the coolest things about it is looking at your runs on their website.

If you're a runner or even a walker that wants to track distance, calories burned, etc, I would highly recommend it.

Sold, im getting one.... does the pouch come with it for your shoes?

themoonisdown09

macrumors 601
Nov 19, 2007
Georgia, USA
Sold, im getting one.... does the pouch come with it for your shoes?

No, you have to buy the pouch separately. I bought this one from Amazon for $8.

Edit: I see that you live in the UK, so the link I provided probably won't work. Just search your Amazon website for "Nike Plus" and you will see the pouches for your shoes. I would suggest getting one that velcros on around your laces instead of the ones that have to re-lace to attach it. That way, you can take it off quickly if you need to go somewhere after you run and not waste the battery.

Bimbalbamble

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2009
Liverpool, UK
No, you have to buy the pouch separately. I bought this one from Amazon for $8.

Edit: I see that you live in the UK, so the link I provided probably won't work. Just search your Amazon website for "Nike Plus" and you will see the pouches for your shoes. I would suggest getting one that velcros on around your laces instead of the ones that have to re-lace to attach it. That way, you can take it off quickly if you need to go somewhere after you run and not waste the battery.

Nice One

kodiak14

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2009
Scottsdale, AZ
Yes!

I have used the Nike+ with my iphone. The only thing that sort of worries me is that I have calibrated it a few times and it still seems that my distances and times are way off! There's no way I'm running a 6 min mile :(.

Also, like someone else said, make sure you take it off or out of your shoe when not using it because motion kills the battery and so far, you have to buy a brand new sensor every time it dies, no replaceable battery...

Also, you only need the sensor, you don't need the attachment. I've seen some places selling them for over $25, there's no way it should be over $20.

Hope this helped :)

spencers

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2004
Haven't used the Nike+ kit with an iPhone, as I still use it with my 1G Nano. I don't want that heavy thing strapped to my arm!

It's totally worth it. Being able to track your distances, times, and calories is great. It's all done over the web, so you can view it anywhere. You can set up goals as well as challenges with other members to increase your motivation. You can also map your runs, if you run outside. The best part is the woman that comes over your earphones that tells you how you're doing while you're running.

Personally, I think Nike shoes are rubbish, and being the Asics fan that I am, I simply built a pouch out of duct tape for my sensor.

And since I run races, having both the music and the accuracy of the sensor helps me motivate myself, have a better pace, and actually know my current distance.

kodiak14

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2009
Scottsdale, AZ
Tell me about it! The iPhone feels like it weighs 10 lbs when you're running. I bought a waist pouch for it from Roadrunner sports, it works pretty well. I can't imagine having it strapped to my arm...

Haven't used the Nike+ kit with an iPhone, as I still use it with my 1G Nano. I don't want that heavy thing strapped to my arm!

It's totally worth it. Being able to track your distances, times, and calories is great. It's all done over the web, so you can view it anywhere. You can set up goals as well as challenges with other members to increase your motivation. You can also map your runs, if you run outside. The best part is the woman that comes over your earphones that tells you how you're doing while you're running.

Personally, I think Nike shoes are rubbish, and being the Asics fan that I am, I simply built a pouch out of duct tape for my sensor.

And since I run races, having both the music and the accuracy of the sensor helps me motivate myself, have a better pace, and actually know my current distance.

Gorg

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2009
Does it track altitude or changes in altitude as well as distance and time?

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
I've been using Nike+ since my old iPod nano, now I use it in combination with my iPod touch and iPhone. Its a good way to keep track of your workouts if you're too lazy to write it down, or want a way to look at it analytically. Its also a good motivator to see how much you've run in a week and then trying to beat that number.

Mrlocalhost

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2009
kinda lame that we have to buy the extra sensor!
Does anyone know how it compares with the runkeeper pro app?

spencers

macrumors 68020
Sep 20, 2004
She does?
Can you change it to a male voice? Just curious…
Hmm, I've never cared enough to look.

Does it track altitude or changes in altitude as well as distance and time?
It doesn't track altitude.

kinda lame that we have to buy the extra sensor!

Lame? It's how it receives data. It's not a pedometer (well, essentially it is), but it's put in your shoe to give highly accurate data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.