Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Nike today announced the Nike Adapt Huarache shoe, which features the company's "FitAdapt" technology that lets you adjust the fit of the shoe through Siri or your Apple Watch.

nike-huarache-1.jpg

Similar to the Nike Adapt BB shoes from earlier this year, the new Huarache shoe includes a FitAdapt lacing system. Run from a midfoot motor, the system is controlled by the connected Nike app and tightens or loosens the shoe based on user control.

For the first time, these controls include speaking to Siri on your iPhone, or using the Apple Watch app. The shoe also offers preset modes for custom fits, and support for Siri Shortcuts for even easier control over the laces.

nike-huarache-app.jpg

In a PR image of the Nike app, the company gives an example of a Siri Shortcut like "Hey Siri, release my shoes" as a way to loosen the fit of the Nike Adapt Huarache.

The new Huarache shoes are a continuation of the original line that debuted in 1991. The new sneakers will go on sale on September 13 at select retailers.

Article Link: Nike's New Shoes Support Siri Shortcuts and Apple Watch, Letting You Adjust Fit With Your Voice

Reactions: MrUNIMOG

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
I get that self lacing shoes seem unnecessary but so is a lot of the technology we take for granted today. At the very least, it’s cool and it’s fun, but on the practical side, dynamic lacing can adjust fit from walking to running on the fly. I can see this being very useful as the technology grows.

Expos of 1969

Contributor
Aug 25, 2013
Is this what we have come to? Is there really a market for this? To answer my own question, I guess there is a limited one. Enough consumers with more money than sense may exist.

Reactions: Substance90

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I always thought self tightening laces seemed gimmicky, but to be able to set different modes for relaxing, walking, and running that I can control with my voice from my AirPods or Watch? That's pretty freaking cool, along with the full loosening for removal.

I'm all for this completely unnecessary technology—they just need to design a better looking shoe that has a cleaner aesthetic and I'll be on board.

In the future I could see this shoe adapting automatically depending on what you're doing. It could sense movement in your foot within the shoe and make sure everything is securely in place, with options to adjust how much firmness it applies.

tobefirst ⚽️

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
legit 1st world problem need 1st world solution

Another case of tech looking for a problem to solve. Also, those shoes are really ugly.

Is this what we have come to? Is there really a market for this? To answer my own question, I guess there is a limited one. Enough consumers with more money than sense may exist.

Imagine yourself with a disability that prevents you from easily tying your shoes. Numerous ones exist. Pick any of them and you'd love to have a pair of these shoes.

ilikewhey

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2014
nyc upper east
Imagine yourself with a disability that prevents you from easily tying your shoes. Numerous ones exist. Pick any of them and you'd love to have a pair of these shoes.
if i have a disability that prevents me from tying shoe lace i wouldn't be wearing shoes with laces, and i would no doubt pick better looking shoes :D

kissmo

Cancelled
Jun 29, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
Wow. Although I am excited about the direction technology is taking and sometimes I hardly believe that we already have this as a product, I cannot stop thinking how on earth there’s still tons of pollution in the world and racism and so on.

Maybe technology like this will finally pull people towards more responsibility before it’s too late.

Anyway, I cannot wait until all theses become affordable.
Exciting times!

jicon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2004
Toronto, ON
Time to update my line 'Thank goodness for velcro. I don't know how you manage to tie your shoes in the morning.'

Have I been doing this wrong all these years? Go running: tie up some running shoes. Go hiking: tie up some hikers. lounge by pool: slip on some crocs?

The shoe looks bulky, and master of none if lace tightness is set to adapt to conditions. I'm not sure what sort of activities this shoe is meant for, but I don't think this is conveniencing anyone.

Reactions: itguy06

KazKam

macrumors 6502
Oct 25, 2011

I have a recurring sciatic nerve issue that often prevents me from bending all the way over and I feel comfortable saying this may be one of the most stupid, useless, and convoluted products I have ever seen.

trillionaire

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2018
Canada
I'm curious how the motor will hold up against all the shock it will be put through. I'm sure they tested it, but I'm curious how it will work in the real world. Wonder what the warranty on these will be.

rpat701

macrumors regular
May 25, 2016
There's already a lot cheaper solutions for that. I have a cousin who has CP and he gets along just fine without expensive nike shoes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.