Nikkor 35mm 1.8G

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mac7, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Mac7 macrumors 6502a

Mac7

Has anyone else experience slowwww autofocus with this lens? Or is it just me? Sometimes it doesn't even focus.

2. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

If mine hunts, it's usually my fault for trying to focus on something that's blowing around in the wind, or something without enough contrast. No speed issues here.

3. Bluefusion macrumors 6502

Bluefusion

Yeah, that lens is great-- if it has trouble, it's usually my fault.

I find that in certain situations (pre-dawn especially) that it has trouble focusing through panes-- like through a screen door or through a dirty window. Also, it tends to want to re-focus a lot, so I just take it to Manual when I need it to stop hunting.

I also have a D40, which I know doesn't have the most efficient metering/focusing system compared to the ones that use 3D focus (D90, etc). Do you have a D40/D60? That could be why.

Anyway, that lens is the best investment I ever made. Love it to death.

4. Mac7 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Mac7

It's really good when it works. But sometimes it won't even focus on human subjects

5. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

Other than opening the aperture to it's widest value, autofocus is the realm of the body and its focus sensors and the light path. You can make sure the light path is clear, especially the mirror. After that, you need to figure out what focus settings are the best for your particular subject and body. Without knowing what sort of subjects you're trying to focus on at what distances in what modes with what sensors, it's difficult to say if you could have an equipment problem or a settings problem.

Paul

6. torturedchicken macrumors newbie

Yes. Sometimes it just spins back and forth. Try using autofocus on centre spot and try making the aperture tighter. When the DOF is too shallow, I think it can sometimes make the lens hunt a bit.

7. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Unless I'm mistaken, I do believe that all lenses autofocus using their widest aperture and that the lens is only stopped down whilst it is taking the picture. Otherwise the viewfinder would be significantly darker and the autofocus would be slower because it has even less light to work with.

8. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

Yes, this is correct. Having enough light coming through the lens is critical for autofocus accuracy. Viewfinder brightness is also critical. The aperture will always be wide open until the picture is taken. The only exception to this is if you have the DOF preview on.