Nikkor 55-200mm vr vs Sigma 70-300mm APO

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by milbournosphere, Apr 9, 2012.

1. milbournosphere macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

So I'd like to get a telephoto lens for the d3100 that is coming tomorrow :). I've heard good things about both lenses, and both are in my pricing range. However, I can't decide between the Nikkor and the Sigma lens. The Nikon has the VR but the Sigma has an extra 100mm to it. It also has a 'macro' mode, but I'm not sure whether that's a gimmick or not. Which lens would you prefer?

2. Bear macrumors G3

I'll turn the question back around at you. What are you going to be taking pictures of? And what lenses is your camera coming with?

I've been in situations where VR was almost mandatory, so it really does depend on what you're doing with your camera.

And I'll toss another suggestion in to the mix - AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR as it's not that much more than the lenses you've mentioned.

3. odagled2004 macrumors newbie

How about a Nikkor 70-300 VR used? I got mines for $300 on Craigslist in immaculate condition.

4. milbournosphere thread starter macrumors 6502a

milbournosphere

I'll probably use this lens more while out and about hiking, and want to frame a shot closer than the kit 18-55mm lens will allow. I'll probably leave my tripod at home on some of the shorter weekend hikes, so there's a chance that a good number of the pictures will probably taken by hand, as opposed to on a sturdy tripod.