Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Renderz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 27, 2004
Hey guys, I know the this novelty coffee mug is old news, but I'm really excited to actually have one! It was a present from my brother so it was totally unexpected.

I put it side by side with my real 24-70 lens and although there are minor differences if you were to glance at them you really couldn't tell the difference. I'm just worried that if I'm ever in a rush I grab the right item :)

http://www.waitingoutside.com/2010/12/nikon-24-70mm-coffee-mug/

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I got one as well for Christmas. The only real bummer is that it is 10 oz, which is about 2 oz less than my normal large cup of joe I have in the morning. ;) I do love it.

Is your's the same, 10 oz? There's a 10 on one side and my expands ... just as a novelty, it doesn't provide any other "space" inside the mug.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan
Congratulations on the neat gift "Nikon guys", there are Canon coffee mugs as well ;)

Yea, they are cool, my wife got me one for a bday gift in Oct, the black 24-105 L.
I have it at work and get quite a few questions related to it and photography.

Then, since I got my 70-200 f2.8 L lens 1 month ago, she got me a white Thermos 70-200 for xmas gift.
I was using it to drink coffee, did a Home Depot run to buy stuff for misc projects, and 2 different guys came up to me asking where can they get the same mug!
12-99-Canon-70-200mm-L-Series-Lens-1-1-Thermos-Coffee-MUG-CUP-138964_image.jpg

fwiw, I like the taste in the stainless thermos instead of the plastic cup...

They are conversation starter for sure....peace and Happy New Years!

Renderz

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 27, 2004
That's great. The only thing I would improve of the Nikon mugs would be to make it water tight. I did some tests and it does leak quite badly when tipped upside down.

compuwar

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2006
Northern/Central VA
I got one as well for Christmas. The only real bummer is that it is 10 oz, which is about 2 oz less than my normal large cup of joe I have in the morning. ;) I do love it.

Is your's the same, 10 oz? There's a 10 on one side and my expands ... just as a novelty, it doesn't provide any other "space" inside the mug.

The thermoses are 16 Oz

Congratulations on the neat gift "Nikon guys", there are Canon coffee mugs as well ;)

I was using it to drink coffee, did a Home Depot run to buy stuff for misc projects, and 2 different guys came up to me asking where can they get the same mug!

Dark Side:

http://www.canonmugs.com/vmchk/Nikon-Lens-Mugs-/-Thermos.html

Light Side:

http://www.canonmugs.com/Canon-Lens-Mugs-/-Thermos.html

Disclaimer: I've never ordered from the site, but came across it early last year and bookmarked it.

fwiw, I like the taste in the stainless thermos instead of the plastic cup...

The lens cups are stainless inside.

That's great. The only thing I would improve of the Nikon mugs would be to make it water tight. I did some tests and it does leak quite badly when tipped upside down.

I'd expect the thermoses to be ok, but don't know for sure.

mtbdudex

macrumors 68030
Aug 28, 2007
SE Michigan

Funny story: 2 weeks ago in a workgroup meeting with 8 people, a guy at work I casually knows took my black 24-105 L coffee mug w/o asking, picked it up, and proceeded to turn it over to inspect it....

whoosh the lid popped off and coffee all over him!

Totally hilarious and everyone laughed at him, I told him "that's what you get for grabbing something not yours".....

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
Absolute classic! (the reply immediately above mine)

I don't need one of these mugs, Nikon has more than enough of my dollars (probably near $30,000) - so that's good enough.

It's uncanny how close the mug looks to the genuine article (which is sitting on my desk at the moment).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.