Nikon 35mm F/1.8 DX lens

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by puckhead193, Apr 19, 2011.

1. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I've been eying this lens now for quite some time. Its been sold out at B&H forever. My local camera store has them in stock now for $400 and Amazon has priced all over the place. :eek: Nikon still list the price as $200.
    Why did this lens go up in a matter of months? Is it because of the quake in Japan? Why the shortage even before the quake?

2. El Cabong macrumors 6502a

The quake is the main reason, since it's unclear when Nikon will be back to full production capacity (though I believe the 35mm is made outside of Japan), and existing stock of their products is starting to run low. Prior to that, the strength of the yen vs. the dollar spurred Nikon price hikes, which may continue to be a factor. As far as it being out of stock for so long, it's a bit surprising, but it's a popular lens.

3. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

Remember that Amazon often sells through third party vendors, which accounts for the price variation.

4. ssmed, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2011

ssmed macrumors 6502

ssmed

I would wait a new AF-S version is due out soon according to some. You can then choose between the two and it will be useable on a wider range of bodies.

Ignore this post - it was the 50mm I had in my mind.

5. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

What? The 35/1.8G came out in 2009. It is the new version.

6. ssmed macrumors 6502

ssmed

No STUPID moment on my part - it is the 50mm that has been said will be replaced. Sorry.

7. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

I think he was referring to the 50mm f1.8 AF-s that is rumored for april 27th.

8. runlsd macrumors 6502

runlsd

I think it's supply and demand more than anything. The demand for this lens far exceeded Nikon's expectations. I own this lens and it's made in China. Not sure if the quake is the main reason for the price jump.

9. TheXIIIth macrumors member

I just got one last week at Best Buy of all places. Just like the OP, I've been checking all the major online camera retailers for weeks trying to find this lens. In most cases it was either back-ordered or the price was really inflated.

So for the heck of it, I launched the Shop Savvy barcode scanning app on my phone and did a text search for "nikon 2183" and I got a hit for a Best Buy about 25 miles away from my home. I called the store and sure enough - they had one in stock at the normal $199 price point. They put it aside for me and all I had to do was give them my name at the customer service desk when I got there.

10. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

I just picked up this lens over the weekend at my local camera shop (at €215). It's a shame the prices (and availability) are all over the place, but it really is a great lens!

Also, I think it's not quite clear what's causing the price jump. My guess is that it's just opportunistic retailers exploiting two (probably unrelated) circumstances: the long-running short supply of this lens (which goes back way before the tsunami) and all the concern about the effects of the tsunami on production in Japan (which, as best I can tell, doesn't really affect production of these relatively cheap lenses, which are manufactured outside Japan).

11. Razeus macrumors 601

It's Nikon's best crop lens. Period. Plus it gives you a 50mm equivalent 35mm format. It's on my camera 95% of the time.

12. 7thMac macrumors 6502

It's a nice lens, but on a DX body it's really equivalent to a normal 50mm lens on a full frame camera. You normally would not expect to pay $300 - $400 for a plastic f1.8 normal lens. I think the price will come back down over time.

13. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

I was looking into the 50mm... on my D90 it would be a 75mm?
    which would be better the 35mm or 50mm?

14. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Probably the 35mm. It's a great focal length on DX.

(I've got the 50mm AF-S, and for a general purpose prime, I'd probably go with the 35mm first if I had to do it all over again.)

15. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

Totally agree with telecomm... when I had a D90 I had the 50mm f1.4 (which was sold along with the camera) but I picked up the 35mm for my D7000 and it's a hell of a pocket rocket of a lens. Although the rapidly increasing price would take the shine off anyone looking for one! I'm sure I picket mine up at Amazon for about £130...

16. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

I'm strongly considering selling my Sigma 50mm because on DX it's a peculiar focal length (75mm)... too long for indoors, a tad too short for street. That's why the 35mm f1.8 exists. It's meant to be the standard normal lens all DX users should buy. Luckily it's also tack sharp, quick to focus, and focuses quite close. Once the price drops down the OP should definitely pick one up.

17. puckhead193, Apr 21, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2011

puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

my local camera store is selling it for $400 :eek:
    isn't that a crime of some sort?
    Do you think prices will come back down?

18. El Cabong macrumors 6502a

Not a crime, just price gouging.

Prices for Nikon products are up across the board, mostly due to the combination of shortages of pro lenses/bodies and the shutdown of the plants that manufacture them. It seems to be spilling over somewhat to their other products, but it seems to be up to the discretion of individual stores.

19. puckhead193 thread starter macrumors G3

puckhead193

the million dollar question or $400 question... buy or pass? I don't need a lens
    want is the key word :p

20. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

Then wait for the prices to fall. Or picked up a used copy.