Nikon and Canon Lens Question

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by I AM THE MAN, Jun 6, 2011.

1. I AM THE MAN macrumors 6502

I know this might sound like a very odd and stupid question, however, is it possible to use "another brand" lens on another camera? For example, if I purchase a Nikon D3100, will I be able to use the Nikon Lens on a Canon Camera (like the T2i)?

Thank you for your answers in advance.

2. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

In most cases no, the lens mounts are unique to the manufacturer, however sometimes there are adapters that allow for this but sometimes you lose some functionality such as auto focus. Tamron, Sigma and Tokina make lenses for both Canon and Nikon and are alternatives to Canon or Nikon lenses, but in my opinion if you have a Nikon then you should buy Nikon lenses if you can afford to do so, the lenses are more important then the bodies.

3. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Yes

Yes, you can do it with converters but you lose the electronic functions such as AF, Av and Tv, etc...

I have never used a converter before but according to a quick google search to confirm my belief it is accurate.

4. c1phr macrumors 6502

Note also that (afaik) you can't go the other way (Canon lens on a Nikon body) as the Canon mount is larger than Nikon's.

5. HBOC macrumors 68020

Many people use Nikons' fabulous 14-24mm for video. Canon doesn't make a lens wide (yet until the 8-15L comes out) like this for full frame. Aperture Priority works for me on my Nikon mount Tokina 17mm.