Nikon D2H question

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by pdechavez, Sep 24, 2008.

1. pdechavez macrumors regular

My friend is offering me his Nikon D2H. It has a sensor of 4.1 megapixels and was wondering how come this has a lower MP count than the D2. Is it any good? He's giving it to me at a very good price of $1000. Any thoughts on this cam?

Thank you!

2. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

Unless you're getting a nice lens or a bunch of accessories or something along with the camera body, you can do a lot better for a $1000 these days.

3. pdechavez thread starter macrumors regular

I already have a bunch of lenses from Nikon And sigma all, F2.8 and below so thats taken care of. I just want to know if the D2H image quality is good for a 4 MP.

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

What he's saying is that there are better cameras for a thousand bucks.

Don't buy that camera, take your money and buy a better one.

5. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

That's way too much money, in my opinion. For a few hundred dollars more, you could buy a D300 - which is arguably a significantly better camera than the D2H.

Addendum: Adorama has an excellent condition used D2H for under $700. That should tell you something.

6. pdechavez thread starter macrumors regular

I've already got the D300 and looking for a secondary camera. I'd like to use my DX format lenses on a professional quality camera with at least 8 frames shooting. BTW: hes offering it to me for $700 now.

7. jake-g macrumors member

ummm... Why not get a grip for your d300? That camera is garbage. It has absolutely no benefit over your d300. Why waste money buying old technology? Buy some glass or save up for a new body.

8. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

You already have a camera that can do 8 fps: get the battery grip and the professional batter for the D300 and it's as fast (in terms of fps) as the D2H :)

9. pdechavez thread starter macrumors regular

thank you all for your replies. I understand fully what you're all saying but Im looking for a secondary camera.

- I already have the grip so i do a lot of sport shooting at 8fps
    - Instead of changing lenses, i need another camera which can shoot at an equivalent rate of 8 frames
    - reviews claim that the 4.1mp sensor isnt the average 4 mp sensor found on old cameras.
    - Buying another camera would end up at over $800 anyway and but be slower in terms of shooting frames per second.

I know its an old camera but I just want to know if itsa good one.

Thank you all

10. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

We didn't know you already had the grip ;)
    Well, the sensor is good, but if 4 MP is enough for your needs, we don't know. It's certainly enough for sports pics in newspapers. I've had a few 3, 4 and 5 MP pictures blown up (they were from the early stages of digital camera development ;)), but these days, people have heightened expectations.

11. Pikemann Urge macrumors 6502

I don't have a D2H... but I sure as hell would love one! I love this camera. It's pretty much one of my favourite DSLRs. The pro series cameras are built like tanks. The image quality is very, very good. And it has a capacious frame buffer.

I'm using a D1X ATM only because I can't justify a D2H - I'm not taking enough pictures these days.

The D2H may not be suitable for stock photography but for portraits, sports, events and photojournalism, it's great. IMHO. :)

BTW see DPReview's review:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond2h/

12. Hmac macrumors 68020

The D2H is a great camera. I've had one for years, although don't use it much now (have D3). Very rugged, very reliable (as long as it's had the metering circuit board update). $1000 seems a little steep - especially relative to other, newer Nikons. $500 would be a really stellar deal on that camera, I see them going for around $700, which would be reasonable. $1000...not so much.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy that camera for $700 if the body is in excellent condition, has relatively low shutter actuations, updated FCB, and not hot/dead/stuck pixels on a 400 ISO shot of the inside of the lens cap.

13. N10248 macrumors 6502a

N10248

I'm on my second D2h (I sold my 1st one for a profit!!! before christmas) - neither of them have had any metering faults.

I've had a D50, D1, D40, D100, but preferred the D2H to all of them, true its heavy and won't fit in my pocket buts its durable and easy to use - it has a dial and switch for everything, a huge viewfinder and the battery lasts for ages.

I don't really need a lot of Pixels as most of what i use it for ends up on a website as a fairly small image so being 4mp isn't a problem.

It's only real bad point is a lot of noise on anything above iso 600ish and the auto white balance can get easily confused indoors.

$1000 is possibly a tiny bit too much for just the body though - i paid slightly less for one with 2 batteries and not a scratch or mark on it.