Nikon D3100 - Lens Advice

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by MaxxTraxx, Dec 17, 2010.

1. MaxxTraxx macrumors 6502

I currently own the kit lens but am looking for something new that will provide me with a closer view of the action in places such as: A Sports gym, Orchestra Concert or track meets.

Thanks

2. makismagoo99 macrumors regular

makismagoo99

Depends on your budget, but you're going to want something in the telephoto range. I'm guessing because you've bought a D3100 (like myself), you're not looking to spend a lot of money. I'd suggest something along the lines of the Nikon 55-200mm VR. It'll run you about $200 on Amazon. You could also go with the 55-300mm VR which will get you a little closer zoom, but will cost you about $360.

The unfortunate part is that neither of these lenses have great apertures (they max out at f/4 and f/4.5, respectively, and get worse the further you zoom in. So shooting in relatively low-light situations (i.e. orchestra concerts) becomes a bit more difficult.

3. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

Is this some kind of joke? You couldn't read or post in the other thread that has essentially the same title, asked literally the same question (telephoto lens recommendation), and was on the same (first) page of the forum?

4. MaxxTraxx thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm looking into the below $300 range, but I was looking at the 55-300m as a possible buy. Either that or the 200.

Thanks for the help.