Nikon D3100 or Olympus E-P2 or wait for E-P3

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by mashinhead, Aug 25, 2010.

1. mashinhead macrumors 68020

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on the digital SLR. I've always liked Nikons cos of the fast shutter speed. But the size of the mirco 4/3 appeals to me also.

One thing that I really wanted was a good movie mode. I see the nikon shoots in a higher resolution. But both suffer from the ability to shoot long lengths of time. Something I assume all entry level SLR's suffer from this. Anyway I want something I can be happy with long term.

Shutter speed and overall speed is important so is the ability to double as a video camera when necessary. any input would be great. thanks

2. defboob macrumors member

If you are already willing to accept the extra builk/size of DSLR and the potential lenses you will buy, then I would go the Nikon D3100 route. It will give you a lot more flexibility especially with lenses.

If you say shutter speed is that important, then you are going to want all fast lenses, any primes that are f1.4 or any zooms that are f2.8. Any lens will shoot extremely fast shutter speeds in broad daylight, so I assume it's the low light shutter speed that's important to you. EDIT: also realized you could have meant shutter speed by continuous shooting, where DSLR wins.

All DSLR's are limited in recording times, but don't let that be your decision maker, i have yet to actually run into that limitation.

3. El Cabong macrumors 6502a

The D3100 will be much better in terms of overall (power on, operation, autofocus) speed. The only real advantage of m4/3 at the moment is size (barring any glaring issues that come to light about the D3100's video mode).

4. BeachChair macrumors 6502a

I know I'm "pushing" the Sony a55 in another similar thread, but I think it deserves mention even though it isn't Canikon. And it looks to match your preferences.

It has very fast shutter speed at 10 FPS. It has 1080P video recording with continuous phase detect focus. Here's an example of how phase detect focus performs compared to contrast detect focus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHPaVD0pHpQ&feature=related
    Also; in-body stabilization should help a lot with reducing shake in videos, and low light/long exposure stills.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Consider a Panasonic micro-4/3 camera as well. That may provide better video quality than an Olympus EP2.

6. ManhattanPrjct macrumors 6502

I was intrigued by the size advantages of the m4/3s system until I went to the local camera store and handled them. They are bigger than I thought and once you slap one of those longer zooms on there... you can forget putting it in your pocket (which is tough enough without a lens mounted).

If you want to buy into a system that can accommodate different types of photography that may interest you someday (even if they don't now) like macro, studio, flash, wildlife, sports... go for the DSLR.

7. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

I can't speak for the D3100, but as an owner of an E-P1 and then briefly an E-P2, the autofocus noise is very audible in playback.
    And being a Nikon fan, you'll be better served in the long run going with a normal DSLR rather than a micro 4/3 solution. They are nice, but you just can't beat a camera with a wealth of glass & accessories at your disposal.

8. judethat macrumors 6502

judethat

I had an EP-1 and found it noisy and quite limited. Great fun camera with lots of effects/filters etc, but have now changed up to a Nikon D90 and the difference is so amazing. I would recommend the Nikon and the vast array of lenses etc you can get. I would not go back and cannot recommend Nikon highly enough.

9. mashinhead thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks for all the comments. They are really helpful.

I was looking into the GH1 which apparently has a really good movie mode. But it says it shoots the HD in AVCHD which last i read isn't supported by macs (of course that was a while ago so correct me if i'm wrong)

I also read this morning about the Canon 60D on Gizmodo. A little more than I'd like to spend but I'm willing to consider it if its a better camera.

An of course the Nikon d3100 is still in the running.

It seems that this is the time of year that new cameras are coming out too. So if anyone knows of anything worth waiting for please mention it.

I've been out of keeping up with the camera scene for a while now.

10. ManhattanPrjct macrumors 6502

Photokina is in a month or so, so there will be more announcements to come. I'd probably consider taking a step back and seeing what emerges, then if you're happy with what the current (soon to be previous) generation cameras can give you, look for huge rebates and clearance sales from retailers clear that inventory to make room for the new stuff.

11. pcconvert macrumors member

I have GH1. Realistically - for movies - this is the best you can get if you like to travel light. Right now, with upcoming GH2, you can get awesome deals, body AND zoom optimized for video (great IS, silent and aperture shape) for like $1000. Lens itself is great and valued at minimum $700, so you get the body for peanuts. Check Vimeo GH1 group for more insides.

Now the new Sony A55 appears to upside vs. GH1 as far as focusing although it lacks custom settings. Still, I have no idea how much are Sony lenses video optimized.

I'd stay away from CaNikon for now. Even though they have good glass these are not video optimized as above.

GH1 is a great value now and if you add highly praised Lumix 7-14/4 (like I did) you will be all set @ 14-280 range (35mm).

And yes, Mac with FC and iMovie does support AVCHD.

12. BeachChair macrumors 6502a

AVCHD is supported by iMovie, but not iPhoto.

Look up a review of Sony's a55

13. mashinhead thread starter macrumors 68020

Cheapest I've found is like $1150, do you know of a place that sells it for 1k?

14. mashinhead thread starter macrumors 68020

It seems interesting. Seems to be pretty on par with the GH1 but seems to have a faster shutter. However it seems more expensive the body alone is $700+.

But the GH1 seems to have a better stock lens.

Actually this just killed it for me: "The video capture, however, will probably annoy a lot of folks who are wishing it's more than it is, and it annoys me because the capabilities feel arbitrarily constrained--like Sony's planning to put them in a more expensive model. First, there are practically no manual exposure controls, and what few there are you can't set independently from still photos"

http://www.dslrphoto.com/dslr/sony-162-megapixels-alpha-slt-a55-review-by-cnet,18358.html