Nikon D40 - I'm in love. Seriously in love.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Hello.there, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Hello.there macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

Okay, I know the D40 is largely designed for people like me who spend three days looking for the 'On' button.

And I know it has lots of limitations and there are several dozen cameras out there that are infinitely superior, in every way imaginable.

And I know some of the seasoned old pros say "huh....a beginner's toy".

But - and it's a very big but:

I LOVE IT. :)

2. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

I felt the same way - way back when I got my Polaroid OneStep.... :eek:

3. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a

Steven1621

I also love my D40. Getting the Nikkor 18-200mm VR only made it better!

4. tennez macrumors regular

5. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

If you find a "pro" that says this, you can pretty-much ignore them if they say anything else. A camera is a tool, while a good craftsman appreciates the subtleties in good tools, a craftsman can do well with any tool of sufficient quality. A world-class violinist may enjoy and produce unreal music on a Stradavarius, but they'll still do better on a fiddle than an average fiddler will on a Strad.

A tool that meets your needs that brings out your passion for using it is the right tool.

The most expensive thing you can do in photography that doesn't involve the words "birds" is to compare any given tool (lens, camera, printer, tripod...) to any better given tool. It spoils you for life. (Welcome to the club, let us know when you splurge for your first "pro" lens, you're a provisional member until you get bit by that beast!)

Congratulations! I know I still get a big thrill when someone buys one of my fine art pieces. Make sure you get the grandfather to pose- especially with the granddaughter if he hasn't already, and make sure the family gets those shots too!

6. sonor macrumors 6502

That's a great story - Nikon should use it in their advertising

7. Axegrinder macrumors regular

Axegrinder

Add me to the list!

I agonized for ages whether or not to buy one and now that I have, I wish I'd bought it sooner. No regrets at all.

8. ChrisA macrumors G4

Nothing wrong with the D40. It's only real limitation is that it can't use all of the available Nikon lenses but for those who would never buy one of those lenses this is a non-issue.

9. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Does the 6MP come in to play as a limitation? It seems comparable dSLR's have 8 megapixels?

10. rogersmj macrumors 68020

rogersmj

MP only really matter when you're making very large prints. And for selling point & shoots to unsuspecting consumers who think more megapixels make the picture "better".

The megapixel myth: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm

The D40 actually does a little better than the D60 (10 MP) in low-light situations because of its fewer MP's, since more % area of the sensor is capturing light (due to fewer divisions between pixels, since those divisions do not capture any light).

I forget what size exactly 6MP is good for printing, but it's pretty large. Plenty large for most people. Most DSLR users don't choose the camera (or judge it) based on the MP rating.

EDIT: And for the record, I also love my D40 :) It's opened me up to the world of photography. Lots of fun in a relatively affordable package...although it has given me the bad habit of constantly wanting to buy more and more gear! Bag, more memory cards, telephoto lens, remote, tripod, better bag, filters...

11. zeesa macrumors member

12. tMac85 macrumors 65816

tMac85

Great story. Keep up with it! It becomes easier to use with time.

and, dont leave us hanging.... post some of the pics!

13. Michael73 macrumors 65816

Ah yes. Reminds me of what someone told me once...

Give me the most advanced carbon fiber bicycle in the world and give Lance Armstrong a Schwinn and he'll still beat the pants off me.

Translation...

It's not the tool but the person using.

14. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

Advantages of lower megapixels:

Diffraction issues at smaller apertures, bigger "well depth" means less noise in low light, better high-ISO for the same generation, fewer technique issues due to movement, less expensive.

Disadvantages:

Less actual resolution in small details, less ability to crop if you didn't bring the right lens, less clear prints at large sizes under the correct viewing distance, more expensive, "sounds" worse when you describe it.

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

That's not true, and anybody who knows about cameras will tell you the same thing. It's like someone telling you that "If you owned a McLaren F1, you could have driven to work 'better'". What would have been "better" about driving to work on a normal rush-hour morning while going the speed limit? It looks cooler, but as a vehicle, I'm sure your car gets you from Point A to Point B equally well.

Enjoy your sexy new Nikon. :) You da man.

16. Island Dog macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

I bought a D40 a few weeks ago and I love it as well. :)