Nikon d40x

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by millermuddle, May 4, 2008.

1. millermuddle macrumors newbie

I have a Nikon D40X. When I try to take a pix with little or no light & no flash, I get an "exposure too dark" message. I have it on manual and bulb settings. Can't find any way to take a pix in the dark. Any suggestions?

2. TimJim macrumors 6502a

Well if your in complete dark, its not going to work no matter how long the exposure is. If there is little light, boost the ISO up and make a long shutter speed and small aperture.

3. millermuddle thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't want to boost the ISO. I'm trying to manipulate a picture and a high ISO wouldn't work

4. 66217 Guest

If you are in complete manual mode the camera should let you take the photo. Even if you are in a complete dark room it should.

Now, you need to keep the shutter pressed when in "bulb" mode.

5. Zer0 macrumors regular

Could this be because the camera is unable to AF? May be you can try using the MF. Not really sure tho.... hope it helps!

6. Hmac macrumors 68020

I agree with above. Your camera may not fire if it's not in focus depending on how it's set. Try switching to manual focus mode, or Continuous-servo mode. Note also that your lens may need to be set to manual focus, depending on the lens.