Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Molnies

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2006
Sweden
Well here's my thoughts on the subject =)

The Canon EOS 350D (Digital Rebel XT) should not even be compared to the Nikon D50 - if anything, compare it to the Nikon D70s.
I have tested the leading low-mid price D-SLR cameras on the market (Canon EOS 300D, 350D, Nikon D50, D70s and Konica Minolta Dynax 5D) and my personal opinion is that the EOS 350D is the winner. The Konica Minolta 5D just wasn't anything I liked at all, so I won't even talk more about that one - and due to the fact that Konica Minolta stopped producing cameras earlier this year.

This is in fact a fight between Nikon and Canon.
What I really hate about the D50 is that it's the only one of the mentioned cameras that uses a SD card, instead of the CF card that is standard in most other cameras. I've read that some people here comment on the Nikon cameras having more colors and "punch" in their raw photos - well that might be true, but to me this is a bad thing. I myself have turned off all extra contrast, saturation etc on my camera (EOS 350D), just because you will lose some of the image quality with those features turned on. I want to be able to edit my photos myself, and that way get the best possible quality.

One thing that I like more about the Nikon cameras is their size, gives them more stability and are easier to hold (for me at least). However, Canon are winning even this battle, why? Because they have a extra battery grip you can attach. This battery grip gives you the option to have 2 batteries (up to 4000 photos on one charge is the maximum I've had) but best of all, you have an aditional "trigger" so that you can hold your camera vertical without twisting your arms.

There is however one aspect where I feel that Nikon is better - it's the kit-lens you get with the camera. I don't like Canons kit-lens that I have now (18-55 EF-S), but the Nikon kit-lens is quite good. But then again, most lenses I own are from Tamron or Sigma, so for me that doesn't make such a big difference.

As for printing, I've gotten best reuslts from the Canon cameras. Both the 300D and the 350D have produced really high quality images at sizes up to 28x40 inches (70x100 cm) - I haven't tried any larger then that. The Nikon D70s could not maintain the quality at this large scale - but on smaller scale, 8x12 inches (20x30 cm), they were tied.

So all in all - I would go for the 350D, buy the extra battery grip and a Sigma/Tamron lens.

thefunkymunky

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2005
London
Molnies said:
One thing that I like more about the Nikon cameras is their size, gives them more stability and are easier to hold (for me at least). However, Canon are winning even this battle, why? Because they have a extra battery grip you can attach. This battery grip gives you the option to have 2 batteries (up to 4000 photos on one charge is the maximum I've had) but best of all, you have an aditional "trigger" so that you can hold your camera vertical without twisting your arms.

:confused: Errm. You can get a bettery grip for the D50.

Molnies

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2006
Sweden
thefunkymunky said:
:confused: Errm. You can get a bettery grip for the D50.
Ok, just checked that statement and it looks like I was wrong there. Finally there's a battery grip for the Nikon cameras... Hähnel HN-HD50/70. There's 2 problem here though, it's not a Nikon grip - meaning that Nikon still haven't understood the importance of a battery grip in their cheaper cameras. But the #1 problem, which is just plain stupid - this battery grip does NOT have an extra shutter button nor any extra controls.

So it does the most basic things, gives it better stability and longer battery life - but the single most important feature (the 2nd shutter button) is still missing. Meaning that my argument that the EOS 350D is superior here with it's vertical shutter button still stands.

D34th

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2006
Connecticut
Clix Pix said:
In the end, the bottom line is not so much in the particular equipment one has (Nikon, Canon, Olympus, Panasonic, Sony, whatever) but rather what one does with it.....

AGREED! Why does everyone have to argue over these companies. I'm not going to lie, I like reading these posts and hearing different arguments, but I really don't think it's necessary. People like different things, for example: I wouldn't need the extra battery grip, nor the extra shutter button, so that wouldn't push me to get a Canon 350D. However, I'm sure that option pushes many people to get a Canon, as seen above. I still think the best advice given in these threads is to go to a store that carries both cameras and do your best to ignore the name of it and just hold it and see how you like it. You will do better with a camera you like the feel of. The camera does not make the photographer...

seany916

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2006
Southern California
Ask yourself what it is going to be used for

If this is for hobbying, taking portraits of friends & family, your kid/nephew's soccer game...

either one will do just fine. Start pricing the lens for which you will be using the most often, 50 prime, ~70-210 zoom, macro, etc. Although both companies put out a variety of lens that cover pretty much the entire spectrum of what you might possibly need, one set might be cheaper than the other in the long run or align more closely with what you're looking for.

You have 3 choices:

1. Learn more about photography and lens (glass) and make your decision based on the infinite number of reviews on both products on the internet along with WHO is using WHAT. Then purchase a camera a long time from now.

2. Throw your hands up in the air & say, "Whatever!" and just get either one now.

3. Realize that they're just tools. Closely comparable tools at that. You won't go wrong either way.

Do find out how much the lens run for what you want to do. Go into a respected camera shop and tell them what you want to do & ask what lens for each camera & HOW MUCH WILL IT COST. It'll give you a better idea for the long run. The bodies of the cameras are pretty cheap to be quite frank. It's the glass that'll cost you. Remember that you're buying into the company for the long haul. Those lens you purchase will be used for your next camera body and possbily even the one after that. (Don't be afraid to buy cheap lens at first, just understand that you will regret it if you get more into photography.)

Spend sometime in the shop playing with both & see which is more intuitive to you. Which is the Mac, which is the PC from YOUR perspective.

That said, I run a Nikon D70S which I'm very happy with (get the D50, much cheaper- I purchased a D70, but they ran out on the backorder and gave me a D70s for no extra charge, though I still wanted the original D70). With a $100 lens (50mm prime), the portraits I take for family and friends make them very, very happy. It has more to do with the photographer than the equipment. (True of most things... with some notable exceptions)

Worse comes to worse, just ask your local camera/tech geeks that work behind the counter at camera shops. The young ones especially will be more than happy to tell you why they love brand XXX over brand YYY and how it is SO much better. Talk to another young camera/tech geek and you'll get the exact opposite answer. The older, more experienced guys will either not care (they've heard and talked this to death already/realize it's just a tool & it's all about the person using it) or push whatever gets them the highest commision. Oh, or they'll tell you they've been using brand ZZZ for so many years and how great it is compared to the "plasticky" junk of today. Except you can't get his old stuff anymore.
(Just ignore the entire preceding paragraph, not serious)

Good luck! Happy hunting!

gwuMACaddict

macrumors 68040
Apr 21, 2003
washington dc
Pistol Pete said:
Honestly forget about the specs and company names...

go and feel the rebel and the nikon.

the only reason why i cant stand the rebel is because of its horrible design at least for me, it is REALLY uncomfortable.

I like the nikon it has a larger grip and a lot better feel especially for the days i carry it for hours on end...

20D feels similiar to the D50.

this is the best advice so far

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Molnies said:
- but the single most important feature (the 2nd shutter button) is still missing. Meaning that my argument that the EOS 350D is superior here with it's vertical shutter button still stands.

Wrong. Not everybody is enamored of an extra battery compartment/grip. I have the D200, which does have an accessory MB battery grip available from Nikon, but I chose not to buy and use it with my camera. I much prefer the way my D200 handles without it. Other people prefer to use it. No big deal, it's a matter of personal choice. I've been shooting for many years -- film SLRs long before I ever picked up my first digital camera -- and have never felt the need for that second vertical shutter button. Nice? Sure, but necessary? IMHO, not really....

Personally I think image quality and build quality as well as other features are a heckuva lot more important than an accessory battery pack and a second (vertical) shutter release. If a particular camera model does not have a battery grip accessory available, one can still have extended battery power by buying accessory battery packs which plug into the camera via cable and can be carried in a pocket. By using a bracket (usually recommended anyway with external strobes) one can then have the convenience of a second shutter release.

IMHO someone should be carefully evaluating image quality and build quality as well as the lenses available from a particular manufacturer before they worry too much about the extras. The future purchaser should consider things such as is a depth-of-field preview button important to them? What about spot metering capability? One camera has it, the other does not. Is that a deal-breaker? How does the camera feel in one's hands? How does the menu system setup function? Does the camera seem to be intuitive and quick when making adjustments, or will there be a lot of fumbling around in the menu? What feels right in my hands may not feel right in someone else's hands. I might prefer one manufacturer's way of doing menus than another's. I might prefer to have certain functions right on the camera body in the form of command wheels or buttons or levers rather than menu-driven. What is important to me may not be at all important to another person. My budget will be totally different than another's and the way I choose to allocate the funds would be as well. Some prefer to plunk more money into the camera body and go cautiously on lenses, others might prefer to put the money into pro-quality lenses and not worry as much about the camera body. In the end each camera is going to have an appeal to someone, but not to everyone. IMHO this whole "Canon vs Nikon" thing is just plain silly and immature.

Silentwave

macrumors 68000
May 26, 2006
Molnies said:
Ok, just checked that statement and it looks like I was wrong there. Finally there's a battery grip for the Nikon cameras... Hähnel HN-HD50/70. There's 2 problem here though, it's not a Nikon grip - meaning that Nikon still haven't understood the importance of a battery grip in their cheaper cameras. But the #1 problem, which is just plain stupid - this battery grip does NOT have an extra shutter button nor any extra controls.

So it does the most basic things, gives it better stability and longer battery life - but the single most important feature (the 2nd shutter button) is still missing. Meaning that my argument that the EOS 350D is superior here with it's vertical shutter button still stands.

There is more than one version on the market, and they have shutter releases. So far I only know of IR operated ones, but I would think that someone with half a brain would be abel to make one using the wired remote terminal on the D70S for the MC_DC1 remote cord.

IMHO if you want the second shutter release buy a bigger camera- you'll typically get better battery life, better performance, and it will be far better built. I didn't like the vertical grip add-on's stability or feel on my D200- I preferred the smaller size. I sold my vertical grip and bought the D2HS for a vertical grip :)

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
Digital Rebel XT and lens

I am thinking about getting Digital Rebel XT (http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=11154). Instead of going with the standard lens the packaged item comes with, I am thinking about getting the body only and buy the lens separately.

Are the following lens good choices to cover variety of shooting needs in general? I like to have the general purpose lens, wide angle (for taking landscape pictures), telephoto lens (to capture some distant animal or object), and macro lens (to capture close-up pictures).

EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM lens (Standard Zoom Lens)
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=149&modelid=7337

EF 20mm f/2.8 USM (Wide Angle Lens)
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=151&modelid=7301

EF 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 II USM (Telephoto Zoom Lens)
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=150&modelid=9435

EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM (Macro Lens)
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=155&modelid=11156

form

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2003
in a country
YS2003 said:
I am thinking about getting Digital Rebel XT (http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=11154). Instead of going with the standard lens the packaged item comes with, I am thinking about getting the body only and buy the lens separately.

Are the following lens good choices to cover variety of shooting needs in general? I like to have the general purpose lens, wide angle (for taking landscape pictures), telephoto lens (to capture some distant animal or object), and macro lens (to capture close-up pictures).

EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM lens (Standard Zoom Lens)
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=149&modelid=7337

EF 20mm f/2.8 USM (Wide Angle Lens)
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=151&modelid=7301

EF 55-200mm f/4.5-5.6 II USM (Telephoto Zoom Lens)
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=150&modelid=9435

EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM (Macro Lens)
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=155&modelid=11156

The 20mm f/2.8 and 60mm f/2.8 are both probably very good performers for the price, and the 28-135mm has its own following, though not as sharp as the other two.

Your weakest link there is the EF 55-200mm, which is a pretty low grade lens. Tamron makes a (slightly faster) 55-200mm lens that sells for less AND probably has somewhat better optics. You might consider theirs instead.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
form said:
The 20mm f/2.8 and 60mm f/2.8 are both probably very good performers for the price, and the 28-135mm has its own following, though not as sharp as the other two.

Your weakest link there is the EF 55-200mm, which is a pretty low grade lens. Tamron makes a (slightly faster) 55-200mm lens that sells for less AND probably has somewhat better optics. You might consider theirs instead.
Thank for the post on this. I am in the process of narrowing down which lens to get with Rebel XT. I think I will go with EF-S 60mm f/2.8 as a Macro lens for this. But, I have to settle on general purpose lens, portrait/indoor purpose lens, and wide angle landscape lens.

EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Telephoto Lens (good portrait lens)
EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM (new, daily use type of lens)
EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM

Amazon does not carry 20mm f/2.8; so I am now in look out for wide angle zoon lens (possibly Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L USM Ultra Wide Angle Zoom Lens, which is on the expensive side).

For a decent lens for landscape and wildlife, is there any recommendation?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.