Nikon D5100 Live View problem

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by jtrainor56, May 11, 2014.

1. jtrainor56 macrumors regular

jtrainor56

I went to use live view this morning to take some pictures indoors. In auto the picture is fine and live view displays correctly. When I switched to manual, live view is dark and I can barely see what the camera is seeing.

I went outside and tried the same thing. In auto, live view displayed correctly, but as soon as I switched to manual, live view displayed dark. In manual I made my settings to match what I shot in auto and the photo was over exposed but again live view was dark. When I use the display to adjust my settings, I can see the screen fine.

I did a reset of all menu settings thinking I may have made a change, but that didn't help. I tied both lenses that I have and it's the same result. Any ideas would be appreciated.
    Thanks. Joe

Nikon D5100, 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6

2. Meister Suspended

Meister

Thru the viewfinder you see a direct mirror-reflektion.

In live view the mirror is flipped up and what you see is the digital image from the sensor.
    If the picture is too dark, then you need to ajust the f-stop, shutter speed or aperture.

3. jtrainor56 thread starter macrumors regular

jtrainor56

If I make the settings the same as the auto settings it is still dark. If I make the settings to over expose the shot, the LCD still is dark. I also found that the brighter the light the darker the LCD displays the live view. I went outside in the sunlight and the LCD is almost black.

4. Meister Suspended

Meister

i know how frustrating it is when noone can give advice, but all i can come up with is:
    - recheck all the settings, maybe do a reset
    - take it to your local nikon support and have them take a look

5. jtrainor56 thread starter macrumors regular

jtrainor56

Thank you Meister for the reply. I did the reset twice and no luck. I emailed Nikon Support and I'll see what they say. Unfortunately, the closest Nikon authorized camera store is almost 2 hours from me and I won't be able to get out there for a couple of weeks.

Again, thanks.
    Joe