Nikon D60 Lens suggestion? Help!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Daremo, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Daremo macrumors 68000

Daremo

Hey guys,

I just picked up a Nikon D60, and I'm looking to use it to shoot group portraits, like bands, or 4 and 6 people. Something between torso to head, and full body shots, being able to clearly frame everyone. Also, some close-up portrait shots.

Is there a lens that will allow me to shoot in this range, and also use it for general use, and relatively inexpensive? (under $200)

I was thinking of the AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR (Vibration Reduction) Image Stabilization Lens, but please tell me if you have a better suggestion.

Thanks!

2. AlexH macrumors 68000

AlexH

I'd go with the Nikon 50mm f/1.8D lens. It's nice and fast, really sharp, and I think you can work comfortably with 50mm. It should allow you to get 4-6 people in a shot (depending on space), and will give you really nice close-up portraits.

I like the way the 35mm f/1.8 lens sounds, and wouldn't mind getting one, but I'd still go with the 50mm f/1.8. It fits your budget nicely too, as it can be had for well under $200 (more like $75-80 used, and $100-120 new).

3. zflauaus macrumors 65816

Just be aware that the 50mm f/1.8D lens does NOT autofocus with the D60 body as the D60 doesn't have an internal motor.

4. AlexH macrumors 68000

AlexH

You know what dude, I completely forgot about that! That's definately something to consider when making your final choice! Now I'm leaning towards the 35mm for the autofocus... :D

5. Daremo thread starter macrumors 68000

Daremo

So, the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR won't be decent for what I'm looking for? Forgive my ignorance, I'm pretty much a beginner with a camera like this.

So what would the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR be good for?

6. svndmvn Guest

The wider the aperture,the smaller the number(1.8 vs 3.5 in the 18 end and 5.6 in the 55mm end) the more light you get in your shots. I also believe primes have better quality than zooms and are usually faster. Autofocus would be important and I agree a 35mm 1.8 would do the job brilliantly. The other lens is probably more of a general purpose, kinda ideal for shooting both landscapes/cityscapes and some portraits but with good lighting, I suppose. I advise you to check out on flickr some pools with these lenses checking out the metadata as well.
    PS with a wide aperture I think VR would be of no help/ not needed.

7. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

Shooting six people in a group would be fairly tricky in an average room with the 50mm, I'm not sure you would be able to get far enough back. You're a bit better off with the 35mm. Personally I'd be tempted to go for the general lens (as it's cheap) and a flash - say the SB400 or 600.

8. Daremo thread starter macrumors 68000

Daremo

Thanks so much guys! You've all been a great help to me. I'll grab the 18-55mm for my general outdoor type shooting, and I will be picking up the 35mm f/1.8g next month when it's available for the portrait stuff, and see how that goes.

Thanks again for all the great info!