Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smkmn13

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
So I've got a little buyer's regret (I think I'm using the term right)...

I bought a Nikon D60 a couple months ago (yeah, i hear the anti-megapixel thing all the time), but my real regret is that i didn't drop the extra dough for the D80. The lens selection is just DRAMATICALLY better considering I want AF, and I really need a f/1.8 or f/1.4 with AF for low-light.

The way I look at it, the difference in the price of a new D60 and new D80 is less than the difference between the older "nifty fifty" f/1.8 50mm and the newer AF-S version, so i might was well figure out a way to upgrade to the nicer camera. the larger size (benefit for my bigger hands) and better control (two wheels/real buttons) are both gravy...

so the real question is...what's the most cost-effective way to make the transition? the camera and kit lens are mint (i'd rather not part with the lens, but if it's worth it i would). any input would be awesome. also, do you think i should consider going after a used D80? that would obviously cut cost as well (if you can't tell i'm a little broke-ish).

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
So I've got a little buyer's regret (I think I'm using the term right)...

Not quite, it's buyer's remorse not regret. ;)

so the real question is...what's the most cost-effective way to make the transition? the camera and kit lens are mint (i'd rather not part with the lens, but if it's worth it i would). any input would be awesome. also, do you think i should consider going after a used D80? that would obviously cut cost as well (if you can't tell i'm a little broke-ish).

If you're set on your decision (and I think your logic is sound, which you must really be kicking yourself about, been there, done that!) then I would suggest looking into a trade at somewhere like http://www.keh.com and would suggest going the used route to save some money.

oxfan

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2008
f1.4 would be better than f1.8, f1.4 would have a bigger maximum aperture which allows more light through. An f1.4 lens is generally better quality than an f1.8 lens, it would probably cost twice as much though.

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
Yeah, it definitely is, but the cost of the 1.8 makes it really appealing. I could always add a 1.4 later on...thanks for the advice!

I was just pointing out that you're not paying for nothing when you get the 1.4 over the 1.8. What exactly do you want to do with your camera that the D60 won't let you do? How will the D80 improve your photographs? Are you going to get lenses other than a 50mm? Only if you intend to get a number of non-AF-S lenses would such a transition make sense.

As for how to make the transition, if you need to, of course it is going to be most cost effective to get a used D80. But you're running more risks. I assume you are in the US, are there not a number of good online retailers of such used equipment? Selling the D60 on ebay or similar seems like the best way of getting rid of that.

Remember, you can always get a better body, if you have the D80 you might think... 'if only I had a D300 I could do xyz'. Will the D80 really help? It's all garbage for most people. Bring back the light-tight box.

smkmn13

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2006
I was just pointing out that you're not paying for nothing when you get the 1.4 over the 1.8. What exactly do you want to do with your camera that the D60 won't let you do? How will the D80 improve your photographs? Are you going to get lenses other than a 50mm? Only if you intend to get a number of non-AF-S lenses would such a transition make sense.

As for how to make the transition, if you need to, of course it is going to be most cost effective to get a used D80. But you're running more risks. I assume you are in the US, are there not a number of good online retailers of such used equipment? Selling the D60 on ebay or similar seems like the best way of getting rid of that.

Remember, you can always get a better body, if you have the D80 you might think... 'if only I had a D300 I could do xyz'. Will the D80 really help? It's all garbage for most people. Bring back the light-tight box.

I guess the basic idea is that the difference between the 1.4 and 1.8 would be small for me -- however, the gap between being able to use non-AFS lenses would be huge. Either way I need a faster glass, so I think I'd rather spend the $300ish on the nicer body (because of the expandability and easier control setup) than the slightly nicer lens. If I do go for a used D80, are there any tell-tale signs of abuse/overuse/?? I've heard you can check the number of "exposures" or something along those lines...

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA

Not only does the D80 let you expand your lens choices, but the D80 does offer some other positives over the D60 - focus points I believe, size (if you want a larger body), external LCD, accessibility through the command wheels. As a lot of people say, it's not the camera that takes better pictures - more expensive cameras can just make it easier to take better pictures.

To the OP, I did the switch from the D40 to the D80 for your same reasons, and found myself attached to my D80 a lot more - and sat less on autofocus. Learned the ins and outs of my new camera and photography, so that in itself is something to be grateful for. I found a used body with low shutter snaps from a photography forum (from a trusted seller), and managed to get it for the same price as my d40 kit. Worked for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.