Nikon D600 Leaked!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Digital Skunk, Jun 14, 2012.

1. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Engadget via Nikon Rumors.

nikon-d600-picture-leak.jpeg

nikond600top.jpeg

I was scratching my head this morning wondering why Nikon would release a 24-85mm FX lens considering that much of their FX lineup is top end. Then I read about this leak.

2. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Depending what this offers this might be my way into the FX realm this year/summer depending when it comes out. I've been getting ready to sell my D90, some lenses that are no longer in my bag at all times and I'm not sure about hanging onto my D50 which is still running like a champ. I would keep my D7000 for backup.

Very interesting :)

3. Digital Skunk thread starter macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I was considering the same thing AD. I've long since gotten rid of my high end gear save for the 17-55 DX and grabbed a D7000 to do all of my freelance work. I was going to get a few more DX lenses of the wide variety and a D300s replacement, but this body may be the one I opt for.

My only reservation is that I don't want it to be paired with anything less than the 24-70 FX which, honestly, I can't afford. The 24-85 is nice, but I have to see what the pixel peepers say about it first.

4. Joe King macrumors 6502

In the same boat as well. If the price and feature set is right, I'll trade in my D90 and my DX lenses.

Been thinking about the 24-120 f/4 as the mid-range lens. I have a decent selection at telephoto but if moving up to FX would also have to get a new wide angle and really can't make mind up between 14-24, 16-35 and 17-35...

5. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

If this is $1700 then I as a Canon guy will flip out in a trail of über rage and probably do something illegal.

6. Digital Skunk thread starter macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

The 17-35 was a dream and what I used often before I got the 17-55 from my previous employer. If I went FX, it'd have to be the 14-24 and the 24-70 at the very least. I may just pick up the glass first then upgrade to FX afterwards.

7. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I know I like the combo of my D7000, the 16-85 and the 35mm (just got that for Xmas), then the 70-300mm for distance. So if it were for FX I'd want the same or similar I should say for a setup.

Guess it would be some good glass but I'd add the 85mm Prime in for sure and if budget was tight there is the 80-200 that still gets good reviews.

I'm seeing the around $1799-$1999 price range all over. At the lesser I'd keep the D7000, the closer to $2000 and glass I would really think about keeping the D50 and selling the D90 & D7000 with most of my glass (add in 3 more lenses than listed above).

I think the 24-85 would be good to start with for me though others would more than likely jump for the 24-70. I'm not sure I could bring myself to get the 70-200 I or II as I would need more reach so that is a strong "have to think about" purchase.

8. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

anyone know what video features it *might* have? Will it be similar to the D4/D800? If so, adios to my D90. I could use it as a B camera for my video needs and break into the DSLR world of video....

9. Droid13 macrumors regular

I'm not sure about this...

The Dxxx series Nikon cameras have tended to be profesional/semi-professional targeted in terms of price and function.

The mode selection dial in the images provided includes preset shooing modes, suggesting that this is unlikely to be a Dxxx series unit, which would have a greatly simplified dial with QUAL/ISO/WB settings buttons on top.

Nevertheless, I am keen to see what replaces the D300s...

10. Digital Skunk thread starter macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

From the NikonRumors site it says that it inherits the D800's video capabilities.

I do appreciate how Nikon has gotten their naming scheme under control, but it still limits the number of models they can have on the market. With the D300 moving forward to the D400, Nikon has to rethink naming yet again when they get to the D500 or D600 even. The Dxxxx and Dx line has more options for growth.

The knob is a dead giveaway for a Dxxxx model, and the build looks very similar to the D7000, so it's going to be interesting to see how Nikon names this beast.

11. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Nice :cool:

As long as it stays under the $2000 mark. And I'm not talking about $1999 or even $1899 but around $1500-1700 would be wonderful :D

I think I might put off purchasing any DX lenses for the moment. Unless something breaks and I need a new lens.

When I got my D7000 last year I still kept the D50 (small and light enough with autofocus motor) as a backup and for times when I don't need my D7000.

If I ever get this rumoured D600 I will still keep the D7000 and what the heck keep the D50 until it dies.

12. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Yes, the D50 is now training wheels for my fiancé and the couple of lenses I don't use she has for the D50. It really is a nice camera for people to start with and the AF really helps having as a backup camera.

I agree with more of a $1500-$1700 price range and since I bought 8 SDXC cards this past winter it would be nice for it to use a dual card slot with those cards. I really would not like to buy more cards as I have plenty ;)

13. Digital Skunk thread starter macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

The good thing is, the next few lenses on my shopping list are the 85mm 1.8, the 50mm 1.8, the 135mm f2.8 macro, and if I can sell a kidney and a lung the 70-200mm f2.8 II; all of which are FX.

14. avro707 macrumors 6502a

That's hilarious! :D

I'll take a wait and see approach. I don't need any other cameras at the moment. But I might like to get rid of my very old D80 that is still sitting around in its box. And a low-end FX camera would be a very nice replacement, given all my other lenses and cameras are for FX/35mm.

As we can see, this D600 isn't following the control layout of the smaller pro-cameras like D300/D700/D800. You can see the A/M/P/S selectors on the round dial, rather than the other way. But anything to get more people over to the dark-side is good. :)

15. initialsBB macrumors 6502a

If it really is in that price range, it could mark the beginning of the end of the APS-C DSLR cameras (Nikon DX)... crossing fingers.

16. Digital Skunk thread starter macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Those to markets will be around for a while yet. The APS-C sized sensors are very reminiscent of the rangefinders and are great for getting quality images and video out of a cam that's half the size of even your DX DSLR.

Nikon has admitted to sticking with and supporting DX for the long haul. Some people have built entire systems of lenses and bodies around it and it would be shameful for Nikon to drop it and force everyone to pick up equivalent FX lenses that cost $1500 and up. The sensor tech is still being pushed. I remember heated conversations with wannabe mathematicians and engineers and pro photogs and the like trying to decipher the maximum pixel count a DX sensor could have (this was in 2004). I think it was somewhere around 16MP and we've surpassed that even in the APS-C market.

17. sim667 macrumors 65816

Ive been looking at replacing my d200 for a while now, maybe i should hold out for this?

18. initialsBB macrumors 6502a

You're right of course, I let my enthusiasm get the better of me. What I really meant was that FX bodies are going to be more affordable, hence something like the D600 would be at least a possibility when I come to upgrade my trusty D5000.

19. Digital Skunk thread starter macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Oh yeah, you're correct there and I know I personally welcome the notion of an FX version of the D7000 body.

20. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

The economics do not support that logic.

Paul

21. initialsBB macrumors 6502a

D7000 + FX sensor = epic win !

22. Digital Skunk thread starter macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

TOTALLY EPIC WIN!

When I was a pro shooter (as in, making 80% of my income via photography and the other 20% photo editing for the Baltimore Sun) I shot with a D2xs, D2hs and D200 and a plethora of lenses. When the work dried up I sold most of the gear save for my wife's D80 and the key lenses I used.

Now that I am picking the work back up and I have the income to rebuild my system I want to build it around the D7000 and DX. I may go up to the D300s and it's replacement, but the D7000 is one extremely competent body and with the right optics I've been able to get images on par with the D300 and D700.

Putting the build quality and size of the D7000 with the IQ of an FX sensor (circa D800) may just be the one thing that makes me want to consider FX.

23. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i was thinking what (if any) lens would be in a "kit" similar to what canon does the Mark III. I definitely wouldn't buy anything higher then an f4 lens. (esp the new 24-85mm lens.)

24. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Except for wide-angle zooms, I like to stay away from anything smaller than f/2.8. Having the large aperture for situations when you need it most is very important to me. For scenarios when I definitely don't need a big aperture, like landscapes, I'd compromise and go for the f/4 wide zooms.

25. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I definitely wouldn't mind them bundling the 24-70 2.8 but the 24-120 f/4 i would be interested in especially as a walk around lens for vacations.