Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Moxiemike

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Balin64 said:
Thanks for the responses. I want to break those punks' kneecaps.

They tried the whole "you need to buy accessories crap" when I called them for "confirmation." I told them to cancel the order. Theys aid I had to pay a cancellation fee. I said I had already called VISA and canceled my card. The guy got furious, told me I was wasting his time. Bastard.

Anyway, I used my other card to order from a reputable dealer: Abe's of Maine. I still got a good deal, and I should have my DSLR on Tuesday. I can't wait!

You'll love the d70, and it will make you want to buy tons of other Nikon accessories. I'm running a D100 and D2h right now with 2 sb-800 flashes, 6 lenses ranging from 12mm-200mm with some macro thrown in and it's STILL NOT ENOUGH!

Haha. So good luck my friend. Start looking for a vice you have so you can quit it to save up $$$

:)

m

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
In a Mauve Dream
Yes, I saw the rumors too

It was actually leaked by Nikon Japan. There is to be a junior model known as the D50 aimed at consumers (I hope it's not like the N50, that camera was a dog, even for a consumer SLR) and an improved D70; possibly known as teh D70s. It seems to be a mere update to the D70, without too many new feature, so I am very happy with the price I got on my D70: $879 after Nikon's $100 rebate. That included the excellent Nikkor 18-70 by the way. It will be here tomorrow... Hell Yeah!

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Balin64 said:
It was actually leaked by Nikon Japan. There is to be a junior model known as the D50 aimed at consumers (I hope it's not like the N50, that camera was a dog, even for a consumer SLR) and an improved D70; possibly known as teh D70s. It seems to be a mere update to the D70, without too many new feature, so I am very happy with the price I got on my D70: $879 after Nikon's $100 rebate. That included the excellent Nikkor 18-70 by the way. It will be here tomorrow... Hell Yeah!

Congrats on the new D70. Let us know if it came with the US warranty cards. $979 is a very awesome price. Hopefully not too awesome.

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
In a Mauve Dream
Sigh... Yes, I know

Moxiemike said:
You'll love the d70, and it will make you want to buy tons of other Nikon accessories. I'm running a D100 and D2h right now with 2 sb-800 flashes, 6 lenses ranging from 12mm-200mm with some macro thrown in and it's STILL NOT ENOUGH!

Haha. So good luck my friend. Start looking for a vice you have so you can quit it to save up $$$

:)

m
I used to shoot professionally in San Diego about six years ago; I had a shooting studio, and another space that doubled as an office, reception area and a darkroom in the back. I had an Arca Swiss 4x5, a Mamiya C330 with three lenses, two OM-4 bodies with a myriad of Zuiko glass, a Leica IIIf with an assortment of lenses. I also had a Britek (I know, not the best, but it did the job) studio system. I did mostly boring industrial stuff on the 4x5 to pay bills (barely) and studio/outdoor fashion for fun. It was hard. Specially for a 20-22 year old running a studio with a slacker partner. So, I had to use my talents somewhere else, and I headed to Theatre.

God, the OM system was just spectacular! Why did Olympus have to change it! My dream system would be a souped up OM4ti, with the same OM mount, an 8 MP sensor, and the same awesome average spot-meter system. They could introduce new AF lenses of course, and keep the LCD on back and controls simple and elegant. That camera was a JOY to use. I still miss it.

After a few years away from serious photography, I am ready to jump back into the fray; I seriously thought about the Oly EVOLT E-300. But I just could not get over the feel: I actually MISS the pentaprism; that's what makes an SLR! I am also concerned about the lack of lenses so far... and Oly has always been pricey. I also remember the OM 77 and OM 88... man that was a flop. In any case, I hope I don't regret not getting the Olympus later, but I think the D70 will serve me just fine...

I will not shoot for hire... I don't have time for that. But I know I must... resist and not go crazy; I know soon I will be happily at work, or dinner, when it will suddenly dawn on me that I need a second body, or a faster telephoto. No! I am older and wiser, so we'll take it one day at a time...

Balin64

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
In a Mauve Dream
Chip NoVaMac said:
Congrats on the new D70. Let us know if it came with the US warranty cards. $979 is a very awesome price. Hopefully not too awesome.

I tracked it today, and it is in route. UPS 2 day Air. I bought it from Abe's of Maine:

http://www.abesofmaine.com

I'm sure the warranty cards will be in order; what can I say, I am an optimist at heart. I'll keep you guys posted.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.