Nikon D7000 & Nikon 35mm 1.8

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by aa521490, Oct 17, 2011.

1. aa521490 macrumors regular

Hello. Is this combo sufficient for indoor/gym basketball? I will be shooting 10-12 year olds?

How about the Canon 7d? Which lens would I use with this Canon?

Thank you.

2. Pikemann Urge macrumors 6502

If you used only that lens, you wouldn't get any close-ups of individual players unless they were right in front of you on the sidelines.

The Canon 7D is equivalent to the Nikon, so all lens issues are effectively the same.

If you can borrow one, you might want to use something like a 70-200mm in addition to the 35mm. The more experience you have with a subject, the better you will get at shooting it. You have to start from somewhere!

3. seattle macrumors 6502

Both Canon and Nikon have a 85mm f1.8 lens that would work well for indoor sports.

4. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

What about the 50 1.8? Is about the same price but on your d7000 crop factor it will be about 75mm

5. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

The D7000 is up to the job to take pictures of indoor sports (ditto for the 7D), but 35 mm lenses on either camera are not. I would also think you need at least 80 mm to have enough reach. Perhaps you can try 50 mm, but then you probably have to crop a lot.

6. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

will you be on the court or in the stands?

it's a fast lens but you're either getting far away shots or are on the court and decent ones, I'd guess.

other wise a zoom might be helpful to get shots from both ends of the court.

7. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

The D7k is going to perform slightly better at high ISO than the Canon, DXOmark has the at ISO 1167 vs 854. I'd probably look at the 80-200 f/2.8 if I were shooting basketball. That should be pretty good at ISO 800 on the D7000 if the gym is well lit, otherwise you're really better off with a few strobes and triggers, even gaffered to the bleachers a la David Hobby. You could try the 50mm f/1.8 which is relatively inexpensive with the D7k at 1600, that might get you fast enough to freeze action in some HS gyms-- but you're going to be cropping a lot of shots. You may also want to look at renting a 200/2- if you're not shooting a boatload of games, it's a good indoor choice.

Paul

8. Randy McKown macrumors member

You're going to be shooting in school gyms so I'd recommend throwing a SB-900 and a SD-9 in the mix as well ... it's well worth the extra investment.

9. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I've shot a football game with a 50mm. Very doable. If you are tight for cash that's the best route to go. Or save up for a 105mm lens or 70-200mm. Either D7000 or 7D will work.

10. aa521490 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you all for your replies. I am leaning toward buying a nikon D700 + battery grip + 70-200 VR II lens. Is the D700 a good buy still? I need the fast shutter speeds in a low light enviornment. My Sony A55 + 50 1.8 + 135 1.8 isn't working for me. I need an slr that will last me at least 5 years. Or should I purchase a D3S? My children are only young once.

11. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

The D3s will be better at high ISO:

http://mansurovs.com/nikon-d700-d3-vs-d3s-high-iso-noise-comparison

It'll also do better than 4x the number of images on a single battery, shoot faster, allow shooting to multiple cards, and shoot video if that's important to you.

It'll also cost more and require an external flash.

Paul

12. CounterCulture, Nov 1, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2011

CounterCulture macrumors newbie

to be asking a question like this only gets me to assume that you're new to photography.

1.) you said indoor/gym photography. why do you think you'll be needing a camera that is great with low light?

2.) i dont think a SB-900 would be the greatest investment right now because with the distance kids will be in, a flash might not offer the greatest of help.

3.) Only purchase a D3S/D700/any full frame DSLR if you really think that every combination of crop frame camera + lens isnt suffiicient. (which is highly unlikely). purchasing a full frame sensor is everyones dream of course, but you have to take into consideration the price you'd have to pay for the lens! personally, i think investing in glass > investing in an expensive camera.

My advice on lens choice would definitely be a 17-50/18-55 type lens at f/2.8. nikon has a great lens but at around +$1000. (most likely out of your budget).

Instead, look into a Tamron 15-50 f/2.8 for a Nikon Mount ~$400-$600. You'll get a great zoom along with a fairly large aperture all the way thru. You'll be able to stand underneath one court to get close up layup shots and still zoom in and get back shots on the other side of the court with great bokeh all while getting a great amount of light in. The D7000 shoots GREAT in low light. dont underestimate it.

13. Thunold macrumors newbie

I use a Nikon 85mm / f1.8 for indoor volleyball games, works just fine. You might have to move around a bit because of the fixed length, but cheaper than the 70-200/2.8.