Nikon D800 or D800e

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Luis Ortega, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Luis Ortega macrumors 6502a

For the photographers out there, do you think that the e version of the d800, without the low pass filter that eliminates moire effects, is a better option than the regular version that includes the filter?
    Since the camera has such a high pixel count, is it counter-productive to reduce its resolution quality a bit with the filter or do the benefits of the filter outweigh the problems caused by the moire effect?

2. avro707, Jun 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2012

avro707 macrumors 6502a

I'm using my D800e for mainly photographs of people, corporate stuff - that sort of thing with a 24-70mm lens, 70-200mm or 300mm, or even the 16mm Fisheye-Nikkor for some group photos of people working at their desks.

It's pretty damn good and I haven't had issues with the moire patterns yet.

I would highly recommend the D800e, if you can find somewhere that has it available, and if it suits your requirements.

Take note of the Nikon warnings from the D800/D800e technical guide, the high megapixel count amplifies even the slightest blur, and also you should be very watchful of depth of field blur. It also demands the sharpest lenses for best results from my experience so far.

I find also with the D800e I do very little sharpening - and I can crop the images massively if I need to and still get great results.

This is just my observations after a short time of having the camera and based on what I use it for. I don't know how you'll use yours, so your mileage may vary. ;)

But having it already, I've become very aware that a whole lot of other pro-photographers are absolutely desperate to get their hands on the D800e, I've had quite a number of them ask how I managed to get one so soon in this country, and where did I get it from, and total disbelief when I explain that I didn't pre-order it. That should give you a hint at how highly sought after it is.

3. DeepCobalt macrumors regular

I'd be careful about ordering a D800 or D800e. Many of them have two defects: a greenish tint to the LCD, and more problematic, a problem with the left-most autofocus point. The latter problem is well documented on the web, although Nikon has yet to acknowledge it. I bought one, tested it and had both problems so I returned it. I'm waiting a few more months before trying again, hoping the problem is solved. I got the D800 and not the E version, because I'm not really a pixel-peeper...

4. lordonuthin macrumors 6502

lordonuthin

I believe the green tint issue will soon be resolved and it is not something I have noticed on my D800. I don't see the left focus point affecting too many people as you have to use those points and shoot wide open for it to be noticeable, also I would think that could be fixed with another firmware upgrade down the road. I got the D800 because for me the difference seemed fairly minor and I didn't want to have to do any post work to fix moire.

I'm quite happy with it so far. Just need some travel time to get some decent photos with it...

5. initialsBB macrumors 6502a

If you are sure you'll never use the video recording capabilities of the D800, get the D800e.

6. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

There is minimal difference according to the DxO mark testing, which is either useful or a load of rubbish depending on your opinion.

96 is the highest score ever awarded.

[​IMG]

Credit: DxOMark via SonyAlphaRumors

7. avro707 macrumors 6502a

Just curious about that comment - any further details?

8. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

Having a D800 and tested the D800e against it... I fail to see the justification for the price difference. The d800 is a camera that performs amazingly well. The 1 point difference in DxO Mark,I consider as irrelevant TBH. both camera models are amazing and even in 1:1 Macro shots I have yet to see the desperate need to remove the lowpassfilter that everyone seems raging about. The images are pinsharp even at 200%, and the whole blur thing...what a load of rubbish. If you shoot your normal shooting style and you got sharp pictures with other cameras before, then you will also get them with the D800. High megapixel count doesn't mean anything. blur occurs the same way at 16mpixels, 18 , 245 or 36. It's technique. however, on the D800 your not-so-spectacular lenses will drag you down. If you have exceptional glass, then you are ok, if you don't... better upgrade that with the camera.
    I can vouch that some old glass works amazingly with the D800 (the nikon 800 1.8D for example) and old macro lenses as well but they are supposed to as they are high performance glass already.

just my 2cents

9. initialsBB macrumors 6502a

The absence of the low pass filter on the D800e will make moiré particularly obvious in some shots where there is a fine repeating pattern (for example a checkered shirt someone may be wearing, or a lattice structure on a building).

Moiré image search on google

This can be overcome in photo but not really in video.

10. avro707 macrumors 6502a

Oh yes, I discovered that. AF Nikkor 300mm F/4.0 - staggering results that left me nearly speechless! So choose your lenses wisely with the D800/D800e.

initialsBB: Thanks for the explanation. And I hear you on the moire pattern. I hadn't uncovered it until recently, some finely patterned clothing revealed it really badly. Fortunately it was only experimentation and not a real photo shoot. I'm still treating the D800e with caution. It has its uses but it also has some drawbacks too.

11. Fortimir macrumors 6502a

Fortimir

The "green tint" is not a defect. It's actually more accurate than the previous LCDs. The autofocus issue affected a small number of units. I've used three (including the one I own) and none exhibited this problem.

As far as 800vs800E... if you have to ask, get the D800. The difference is very small to 98% of photographers, and while the reports of moire in the E are much less than anticipated... you'll not have to worry about it *ever* with the non-E.

12. Laird Knox macrumors 68000

I was on the wait list for either an 800 or an 800e - whichever came in first. I ended up with the 800 and don't regret it for a second. I honestly don't thing you can go wrong with either. They are stunning cameras.

13. Luis Ortega thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I got the d800 and I am very happy with it.
    I can't see any problems with the left AF point issue.
    Now I need to test my lenses to see which ones may be good enough for the d800.
    I'm hoping that at least my 50mm f1.4 and my old 80-200mm f2.8 will be good enough.

14. avro707 macrumors 6502a

80-200 F/2.8D will be superb with the D800. I borrowed one from work for a quick test on the day I got the D800e - superb results.

15. macjonny1 macrumors 6502a

macjonny1