Nikon D90 - shooting menu by pressing Magnifying glass?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by kazakh, Nov 14, 2010.

1. kazakh macrumors member

Hi all.
    If you have a Nikon D90, and put it into M mode and then press the Magnifying glass - does it show you the Shooting menu where you can adjust settings such as metering, ISO, WB, Shooting Mode etc etc ? (Just like the D40 does)

My girlfriend's friend was playing with her camera and now I can't get this menu to pop up with the "magnifying glass" button.

(I am 99% sure that it was working before...unless I really really confuse it with my D40) but if someone can confirm it, then I'm not crazy.

If it does work - how can I make it to work again? I tried reseting with green dots, tried reseting in the menu...still nothing...

thanks

2. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

Don't you get to that screen by pressing the "info" button and not the magnifying glass button?

3. kazakh thread starter macrumors member

4. Ruahrc, Nov 14, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2010

Ruahrc macrumors 65816

?

You can see the status of both the metering and focus on the D90 info screen (the 2 square graphics in the center). In fact this rear screen replicates basically the exact information you see on the top LCD so I'm not sure why you would really need to use it?

I'm also not sure why you would want to change these settings via the menu, as the D90 has dedicated buttons to change both the metering and the autofocus style. You hold the button then spin the rear command dial (I think you can program it to be the front dial if you prefer). Once you learn the controls you should be able to change them all by touch without having to look at any screen or removing your eye from the viewfinder. This is considered an advantage over the lower D40 which does not have as many hardware buttons and thus relies on the slower menu system.

If you really want to change things via a menu, then don't press the magnifying glass rather press the menu button, then navigate to the custom settings (red) menu. It has all the settings in there too.

Ruahrc

Oh and P.S. you may be just confused because I don't think the D90 has a screen like the one on the D40. It was made especially for the entry level DSLRs like the D40 and the D3000/3100. They changed the layout to make it more intuitive for beginners, whereas the layout on the D90 is different because it targets a different demographic and also because it has extra hardware buttons on it to make many of these changes.

5. kazakh thread starter macrumors member

Your last paragraph sort of explains why I was looking for it. the D90 is my girlfriend's camera and I'm trying to show her how to play with the different settings. And the screen that I was looking for is a bit more intuitive rather than learning dedicated buttons.

The other reason why I'm looking for it is just to find it :) Because I am almost 100% sure that it had this option, and I've used it before.... or I'm just confusing it as you said. But if someone else confirms it - that would be great.