Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SRSound

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2005
I find it incredibly hard to imagine Nikon would drop support for the platform that is the indisputable leader with creative professionals (photographers included). Unless MS is paying them an enormous amount of money, I think you can count on Apple support for a long, long time.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I'm not getting too worked up about it at the moment - reading more about it, it seems to me that the new Raw format on the P6000 is aimed at the consumer / casual end of the market (in camera processing of Raw files!?) and they'll keep NEF support in the SLRs for a long time to come. If not, then I guess I'll be moving to Canon...

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
For the pro photo market - the high-end cameras - that would be suicide for Nikon. I don't see it happening.

Unfortunately for pseudo-RAW support in the Coolpix cameras, I think it's pretty obviously happening...

digitalpencil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
Manchester, UK
i have a pathetic nikon camera and it doesnt import videos on iphoto does this have to do with them dropping support?

No, this is in regard to RAW processing..

I really hope they don't.. as you've all said, I can't see it happening myself as they would be shooting themselves in the foot but I can't see why they're looking to offer RAW support to p&s anyway? Most in this range wouldn't know what to do with it but I guess they're trying to loosen the learning curve.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
Nikon is not dropping Mac support. They're using a Windows only RAW format on a single point and shoot camera. Users can still (a) shoot JPG with their Mac (b) use any Adobe Camera Raw product when support is released (yes, it is happening) or (c) wait for Aperture / iPhoto to support the format.

Wah wah. I'm a Mac user and a Nikon user and I couldn't care less.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.