Nikon flash on canon body?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ruahrc, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

I have a random question about flashes. My friend shoots Canon but I shoot Nikon. I have the SB-700 flash and was wondering if it would be possible to use my flash on his body (I think it's a T2i)? I know most of the advanced Nikon-specific features won't work, but can you use the flash in manual mode on a Canon body? Or are all the connectors for the different brands different and incompatible?

Ruahrc

2. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

yes exactly that... wireless shooting MAYBe. On camera no way. different voltage throughputs, different contacts etc.

3. RedReplicant macrumors 6502a

4. jackerin macrumors 6502a

Different voltage?! You sure you got that right?

5. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

They should work just fine in manual mode. I've tried to use my SB-600 on my Sigma DP-1 and it worked just fine in manual mode.

6. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

ok i stand corrected. According to the tinternet you should be able to shoot it in manual but none of the TTL or iTTL functions will be available so you have to set everything yourself.
    On a side note, I just tried this with a 580 EX 2 from a friend on my D7000 and it fired once, then several times not at all and then all of a sudden again for several shots before giving up again.

so your milage may vary with this approach. what DOES work is the wireless triggers which is nice but also there just manual and then only if you have another flash firing.

7. 0007776 Suspended

I had a friend use my SB800 on his Canon, I don't think all of the features worked, but in manual mode it worked fine.