Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
I have been trying to get hold of the 50mm for some time but it is out of stock everywhere. I did stumble across this which is more expensive but may be better?? http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/131063-USA/Nikon_1922_Wide_Angle_AF_Nikkor.html#reviews

does anyone know where i might be able to get either of these from quickly in the uk?

Edit : jessops are out of stock on the 50mm but have plenty of stock of the 28mm. is this a good lens??

It's not necessarily better...it's a wider angle, that's for sure, but it's slower at f/2.8 -- and it won't autofocus on your D40. Which 50mm are you talking about? There's three or four that have been discussed here, three f/1.4 and one f/1.8. Only the Sigma HSM and the Nikon AF-S will autofocus on your D40.

SOLLERBOY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
UK
It's not necessarily better...it's a wider angle, that's for sure, but it's slower at f/2.8 -- and it won't autofocus on your D40. Which 50mm are you talking about? There's three or four that have been discussed here, three f/1.4 and one f/1.8. Only the Sigma HSM and the Nikon AF-S will autofocus on your D40.

the f1.8 £89.

Vogue Harper

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2008
Serenity
As you will be spending time to compose & perfect your shots, do you really need a/f?

I would agree with this and possibly go further by saying that for night photography, it's probably a better idea to manually focus. Depending on the lens, the auto focus will get confused figuring out what you want to focus on in the dark. That said, with a small enough aperture to get large depth of field it will be fine to auto focus but then having a smaller aperture requires a longer shutter speed which might be beyond the realms of hand holding and require setting the camera down somewhere.

A Gorillapod (although make sure you get the big SLR Zoom version) will probably be okay for places which don't allow tripods - it looks so bizarre most people would not know what it was anyway.

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
That 28mm is not a great lens. I would not recommend it. The 50mm is better optically, and it's faster, cheaper. If you want a wider angle (i.e. a normal on crop) the 35mm f/2 is decent, but costs more. Like the 50mm f/1.8 the 28 and 35mms will not focus on the D40.

Milessio

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2008
For some options with English costs for the 50mm f1.8 head over to: http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/prod132.html

At least some of them seem to have the lens in stock.

Security staff are only worried about full sized tripods blocking corridors etc & not that they have three legs, so in my experience a mini tripod of whatever form won't worry them.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
ISo 1600, 50mm f1.4 works for me even on older digital cameras.

You might have to shoot raw for better quality files.

Learn how to hand hold and mimimize shake.

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
I still can't find the 50mm in stock anywhere. IS this a good lens?

http://www.jessops.com/online.store...s/products/Nikon/35mm f2 AF D-25460/Show.html

The 35mm f/2 is a truly excellent lens, but it will not autofocus with the D40. I'm not sure where you got to with deciding which body you would have. Did you decide against the sigma 30mm f/1.4 HSM? I know optically it won't be as good as the 35mm f/2 but it is faster, and in most fields I can't remember when I looked at a photo and thought 'oh, what a shame, it's not sharp in the corners, the photo's hopeless therefore' (though, this seems to be contradicting what I said about the 28mm not being good..!). http://www.cameraworld.co.uk/ViewPr...0mm+f/1.4+EX+DC+HSM&CAT_CODE=2&SUBCAT_CODE=33 have it for £264. Incidentally they have the 35mm for a bit less than Jessops too.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
Since the buildings don't move, a good VR lens is another option. I've got the 18-200VR on my D80, and if I open it up wide and flip on the VR it's remarkably good in low light. VR gives you about a 4 stop advantage. The other benefit is that you can win back your depth of field with the smaller aperture.

Another recommendation is put the shutter on continuous and just take as many shots as you can-- then sort through them and find the lucky ones.

You can probably use a small tripod e.g. Ultrapod resting on the floor, handrail, balustrade or braced against a wall, lamp post etc. Just remember to use the 2s timer though.

Agreed-- anything you can brace against will help. Even hand held, if you're leaning against something you'll do better. If you do find a way to stabilize it, that 2s timer suggestion will make sure you don't blur it by pushing the shutter button.

the nikon fifties (1.8D, 1.4D & 1.4G) are good fast lenses for night photography. there is also the sigma 30mm 1.4 lens which i am putting in my short list since the focal length is closer to 50mm in dx-format cameras like the d90 and d40.

I also have the Sigma 30mm 1.4. It's not a bad lens, but there have been a lot of complaints that quality isn't consistent from unit to unit.

SOLLERBOY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
UK
Since the buildings don't move, a good VR lens is another option. I've got the 18-200VR on my D80, and if I open it up wide and flip on the VR it's remarkably good in low light. VR gives you about a 4 stop advantage. The other benefit is that you can win back your depth of field with the smaller aperture.

Another recommendation is put the shutter on continuous and just take as many shots as you can-- then sort through them and find the lucky ones.

Agreed-- anything you can brace against will help. Even hand held, if you're leaning against something you'll do better. If you do find a way to stabilize it, that 2s timer suggestion will make sure you don't blur it by pushing the shutter button.

I also have the Sigma 30mm 1.4. It's not a bad lens, but there have been a lot of complaints that quality isn't consistent from unit to unit.

Thanks for the advice. I have been eyeing up the 18-200 for a while. The only thing stopping me from buying is the thought that a d90 is not much more.

leighonigar

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2007
What exactly is it about the D40 which you don't appreciate? Presumably you'd have to use the D90 with the 18-55. Hardly a panacea.

SOLLERBOY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
UK
What exactly is it about the D40 which you don't appreciate? Presumably you'd have to use the D90 with the 18-55. Hardly a panacea.

I love the d40 don't get me wrong but it just feels limiting. I need a good all rounder for my course and something with better menus. I still love the d40 and will probably end up keeping it.

namethisfile

macrumors 65816
Jan 17, 2008
I would agree with this and possibly go further by saying that for night photography, it's probably a better idea to manually focus. Depending on the lens, the auto focus will get confused figuring out what you want to focus on in the dark. That said, with a small enough aperture to get large depth of field it will be fine to auto focus but then having a smaller aperture requires a longer shutter speed which might be beyond the realms of hand holding and require setting the camera down somewhere.

A Gorillapod (although make sure you get the big SLR Zoom version) will probably be okay for places which don't allow tripods - it looks so bizarre most people would not know what it was anyway.

you're right. manual focusing is the way to go. but, this also has limitations when you have the lens wide-open at night. it's difficult to judge whether or not the subject is in focus thru the viewfinder and even when the camera blinks that green dot - it doesn't necessarily mean it is focused, as well. i have read a little bit about focus-screens and i might need to get one that is appropriate for my lens (a nikkor 50mm 1.4). anyway, i have devised a solution in the meantime, called bracket-focusing. i don't even know if this a real photo term. but, it seems feasible especially with digital's mass storage capability. so, i tried it one night at a bar that was practically candle lit. auto-focusing in this situation would have been hopeless. the method, if there is one, is to use yourself as an autofocus machine. your fingertips, to be exact. you begin by judging where the subject is distance wise and then from there - cradle the focus ring and rock it in itsy-bitsy increments, while, at the same time snapping pictures at each one. hopefully, the result is that you have covered all the ground, distance-wise, of your subject and that one photo out of all the photos you snapped is in focus. after that, delete, delete, delete.... and start all over again.

uMac

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2007
Canada
Night Shooting Advice

First of all, unless your buying a Non-DX lens or Camera, I would suggest you save your money, Nikon is going towards FX and DX will still work (one assumes indefinitely) but your not going to get the full value out of it. Where as most film lens should work wonderfully on a FX camera (again not as good as a FX lens, but for 99.999% of people they won't notice).

That said for Night Photography, unless your subject is close enough to the Camera for the AF support light to illuminate them or its bright enough for the camera to get a lock, having a AF lens is a little pointless.

If you want a walk around night-time lens, speed is key. F/1.2 is the fastest and by far the most expensive. Its also quite hard to focus, took me about 6 months before I could do it quickly & reliably.

Nikon offered three f/1.2 lens, the first is the 58mm Noct-Nikkor, which is specifically for noctural photography, the 55mm f/1.2 or the 50mm f/1.2. Now they are all fast and manual focus, but the 50mm or 55mm can be purchased used in your price range.

As you get more specialized lenses the cost can creep up on you, since your D40 will make many autofocus lens manual on that camera, it may be too your advantage to buy a used f/1.2 lens if its in good condition.

That all said, I've seen a D700 do some amazing work in very dark conditions & f/2.8, DSLRs are improving their ISO and grain reduction by leaps and bounds. So in the future fast lenses may not nessarily be needed; who knows!

*** Note: I know there is faster lenses than f/1.2, but in all seriousness they won't meet the OP needs.

IndaPooper

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2009
Nikkor 50mm 1.4 is heaven

I don't understand why some people are talking about the 50mm being too long and maybe not suitable for night photography. Bull.

I do tons of low light shots both indoors and around the city and the boy oh boy the 50mm 1.4 is a dream if you like short DOF. I was using a 16-85 zoom prior to my 50 and it couldn't come close to producing the images I'm making now.

Also, I find the 50 a great focal length for indoors. Some guy mentions having to back up too much. Huh???? I snap pictures in my tiny kitchen no problem. for walkaround, I'd actually prefer an 85. I hate when people stare like deer into the headlights. My D80 is noticeable enough as it is, so I'd like some distance. 50 would be too short for this, IMO, but is sweet for everything else if you like reduced DOF.

Good luck!

SOLLERBOY

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 8, 2008
UK
I eventually plumped for the 50mm 1.4 , It was amazing in new york and was a great choice of lens. I also recently bought the d90 which is equally as good.

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
The trick is not to try and hand hold. You'll want to stop down to at least f/8 so point sources look better, and it will be easier to focus.

cityatnight-1.jpg

This was done through a window on the 40th floor of a building, camera resting on a sill and propped up with the strap.

50mm f/1.4 @ F8, 15 seconds, ISO200

sangosimo

Sep 11, 2008
on a crop body 50mm is pretty long. especially on the canon side. I would much rather have sigma 30mm f/1.4.

georgemann

macrumors regular
OK first off, I own a D40, D80 and D300 and a lot of lenses.

1. Scenic night photography does not require fast lenses (it does require a tripod or clamp of some sort though, to get really good images with more than the brightest lights showing up).

2. The D40 does have it's faults, but low light level quality is not one of them. Bracket your image exposures and bracket your ISO settings.

3. Don't be afraid to test out the extreme ISO settings when it is absolutely impossible to use a tripod or clamp of some sort. The D40 performs really well at the high ISO end.

4. Find a gorilla pod, you may be able to get away with clamping it on a railing without the tripod police getting on your case.

5. All lenses are good for night photography, it all depends on what you are shooting, not everyone is interested in shooting panoramas.

George

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.