Nikon lens compatability

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by thouts, Feb 2, 2009.

1. thouts macrumors regular

thouts

Hello all.

I've got a D60 with the 18-55mm dx vr kit lens and also the 55-200mm dx vr lens. I'm wondering if I would ever choose to upgrade my camera body to say a D90 or even some of the upper level pro camera bodys if these lenses would still work?

I didn't know if there are compatability issues because of the auto-focus motor in the lenses I currently use with the D60.

Or is this a stupid question because if I am going to spend money on a nicer camera body I should also be spending cash on the lens?

2. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

The problem only exists the other way around, those lenses will work just fine on a camera with an auto focus motor in the body, the only issue you may encounter is if you ever switch to an FX format camera like a D700, however if you were going to do that you would be well aware of such issues.

3. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

Those lenses will work fine on a more expensive body, with the proviso about full frame. However, as you suggest, if you got a better body you would perhaps be doing it a disservice with such inexpensive glass. Still, as a stopgap perhaps. Sure!