Nikon LENS DSLR filters??

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Soma 115, Jun 21, 2008.

1. Soma 115 macrumors regular

Hey guys.

I'm kind of a novice when it comes to filters and color dynamics in pre-shooting. I was wondering what type of filter would be good for darkening a picture. im working with the stock Nikon D40 lens(18-55mm 3.5) and a sigma 70-300 lens that i can't remember the size of at the moment. any help is greatly appreciated!

-Dillon

2. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

What exactly do you want to do? Do you want to underexpose your picture or have longer exposure times?
    If all you want is have the picture less exposed, you could use manual exposure correction on the camera or use your favorite image editing app to make it darker (even Preview will do). There's no need for a filter in this case.

3. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

Or... if you're trying to take longer exposures, you'll need a neutral density filter (ND). Pretty much all companies that make filters make ND's. B&W are great, as are heliopan. For ND filters, in particular, I would actually recommend the vari-ND from SinghRay. Yeah, it's $345, but it solves you having to get all densities between 1-8. Check it out here.

4. Soma 115 thread starter macrumors regular

alright. i was looking to find a type of underexposure. ill try adjusting photos in PS and see how that works out.

also, how would one accomplish an effect like this
    http://wvs.topleftpixel.com/07/12/01/

it looks like a slight hdr alteration but i can't really tell :confused:

5. Everythingisnt macrumors 6502a

Everythingisnt

To me that looks like a bit of dodging and burning as well as some curve adjustments. I don't know if you actually need a ND filter for that.. (Shutter speed was 1/50s)..

6. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

You don't want filters for this. Shoot RAW and use photoshop or aperture or something to post-process. I personally would use the shadow-highlight and associated contrast sliders. But I don't know what the hell I'm doing. It would look like this though.

7. Soma 115 thread starter macrumors regular

Alright thanks alot! ill have to try these out later tonight :D

8. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

The SinghRay is just two polarising filters, stacked, right? There must be a way of doing this for less...

9. M@lew macrumors 68000

M@lew

You can't "mimic" a polariser. They're one of the most important filters in photography since they can remove reflections etc.

10. Everythingisnt macrumors 6502a

Everythingisnt

True, but the actual instance that you need a polarizer to shoot through glass is minimal. The only times I've actually seen polarizers being used for that purpose is in movies when they have an establishing shot of people talking inside a cafe/office building etc. and they can't have the camera reflecting in the glass.

11. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

For clarity, it's 1-8 stops, not ND 1-ND 8 (a filter with a density of 1.0 would be just over three stops.) An ND 0.3 is one stop. For $65, you can get a Lee three filter set (.3, .6, and .9) with a rubber-band based holder (ND filter set with Gelsnap holder.) That gives you 1, 2 and 3 stops singly, and up to 6 stops total if you stack them and the square filter holder will rubber band on most lenses (100mmx100mm)- you're not stuck with a single diameter.

I just picked up a Kodak ND 4.00, which gives 13 1/3 stops

12. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Polarizers do have other uses other than removing reflections. However they are quite good at that - try using one sometime when you're near a body of water, and want to see the fish...

Re: the Singh-Ray Vari-ND filter: I have it, and have found it very handy. However I would recommend spending the extra $50 and getting the slim-line version (which I didn't do). The Vari-ND is Vari-thick. :D