Nikon lens onto Handy Cams??

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by macfilm, Apr 3, 2008.

1. macfilm macrumors regular

Hi, does anyone know how to attach, say, a Nikkor AF 300mm lens onto a small handy cam camcorder. (I've got a Sony HDR-SR8e)

Is this at all possible? Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks! :)

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

3. cpcarrot macrumors member

Do a search for 35mm adaptor either on here or google. There are plenty of ways to do it and quality will depend on how much you are willing to spend.

4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

I really doubt the quality of this is going to be anywhere near decent. There are some videos on youtube, but they don't look so great...

5. sycho macrumors 6502a

sycho

The depth of field can be just as it would be on a SLR, the only problem is that you lose about 3-4 stops of light.

There are plenty of example of DOF adaptors on hv20.com

6. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

I beg to differ, kind sir! Check out the videos on adapterplace.com. They're beautiful! In addition, the new adapter models (Letus, Brevis, RedRock, SGPro, etc) only lose about 1/2 - 1 stop of light. Not so bad.

...but they're super expensive.

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Yeah, the OP will spend more on a 35mm adaptor+accessories than he did on his camera.

Lethal

8. sycho macrumors 6502a

sycho

If you check out www.hv20.com , there are guides on how to make some for about $120. :)

9. macfilm thread starter macrumors regular

10. trudd macrumors regular

trudd

Nothing on YouTube looks great.

The Letus Extreme is pretty solid - it's been serving me well since November. We'll be shooting a feature with the Sony EX1 + Letus Extreme this summer. Philip Bloom has been doing a bit of this...he has some HV20 + Letus shorts on his website - www.philipbloom.net

The world of 35mm adapters is a slippery slope. First comes the adapter ($1200ish), lenses, rails, follow focus, a tripod to support it all, matte box, HD monitor, handheld hardware, etc.

Be prepared to make an investment if you choose to dive into the realm of 35mm lenses (and you won't want to use autofocus lenses, the manual focus rings breathe too much)

11. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

You realise with an adaptor you will lose AF (and won't be able to alter the aperture easily), and 300mm on an adapter will probably be shorter than your camcorders own lens can do..?

I'm guessing you're not doing anything professional, in which case the better adapters (Letus, Redrock, etc.) can work well and look good. They do require some accurate manual focussing though, and may well be more hassle than you can be bothered with if you're just shooting your dog or something.