Nikon Lens Question

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by djejrejk, Mar 13, 2008.

1. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

I am shopping around for Nikon lenses recently and noticed that many sellers such as bh photo and Adorama sell USA and "gray market" or "imported" Lenses. Most are 10-30$ price difference,.. is it worth it?

What is your experience buying these imported lenses?

My first instinct is to pay the extra 20$, but those small savings could easily turn into another lens.

2. TWLreal macrumors 6502

Quoted from The Digital Picture.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Canon-Lenses/Gray-Market.aspx

Replace Canon with Nikon.

In the end it's all up to you but when I'm about to drop a few hundred dollars or even a thousand on a lens, the small premium for a "genuine" product is worth the peace of mind to me.

3. ChrisA macrumors G4

The above is true. The difference is only in who warentes the lens.

But that difference goes away after one year because after that no one warentes the lens, So all differences vanish after the first year.

OK not quite true. There is a certain class of "photographer" who is really more into equipment than taking pictures. They are the ones with cases of lenses and bodies and not one spec of dust or small rub mark on anything. They are esentially collectors. These people place value on the cardboard box and not filled in paper work and yes if the lens is "USA" or not. so, a "USA" lens would have a greater re-sale value but maybe only by the amount extra you paid for it. If you are the kind of person who buys and sells, having the USA version and the USA box will make the lens more sellable later.

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

I have in-laws in Japan. So if I go there and buy a "made in Japan" Nikon Lens in Japan it is somehow not a "genuine" product?

The imports or "gray" lenses are identical to what are sold in Japan. In fact that is where the "grey" lens may have come from. Some big New York shop like B&H buys 100 lenses from some big shop in Japan because it can buy them cheaper in Tokyo then from is local distributer. With the US dolar so low I doubt this happens much any more

5. TWLreal macrumors 6502

6. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

This isn't always true. I've got some Nikon USA lenses that came with an additional 4 year warranty on them. In that circumstance, I think paying the extra bucks makes a lot of sense.

7. bobt macrumors regular

Not to mention having the warranty work done by Nikon USA and not a store. If there was a big price difference I'd consider grey market, but I just don't think the tiny savings are worth it.