Nikon Mirrorless Camera

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by firestarter, Sep 20, 2011.

1. firestarter, Sep 20, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2011

firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Apparently this countdown site has been created by Nikon to count down the hours to their announcement of a mirror less/interchangeable lens camera.

14 hours to go... announcement at 1PM EST.

2. firestarter thread starter macrumors 603

firestarter

What a disappointment and wasted opportunity.

• Tiny sensors
    • Slow lenses
    • Expensive prices

Toy cameras for Nikon fanboys. I hope Canon does better if/when they release their mirror less range.

3. robbieduncan, Sep 21, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2011

robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

That pretty much covers it. The sensor has about half the area of m43. Which has about half the area of APS-C. Or looking at that another way it's only twice the area of the largest compact camera sensors.

Still look at all the pretty colours the bodies (and quite a lot of the lenses) come in :rolleyes:

4. firestarter thread starter macrumors 603

firestarter

The biggest problem for me is that it's just not a creative camera.

F3.5 minimum on that tiny sensor won't give you good low light photography or the ability to do selective focus pictures. You may as well pick up the Olympus ZX1 - it has an f1.8.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

How does it compare to the Pentax Q system? Any ideas how that's been selling?

6. firestarter thread starter macrumors 603

firestarter

I've seen a few interesting YouTube demos of the Pentax (which has an even smaller sensor but still very expensive).

Pentax are going for the hipster/Lomo/retro type market - since three of the five lenses in their initial lineup are 'toy' ones. I'm not sure whether that's a better or worse marketing move! :D

7. El Cabong, Sep 21, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2011

El Cabong macrumors 6502a

Nikon has dropped two expensive turds. Imo the only things they did right were including a model with a decent(-looking) viewfinder, and the dual shutter mechanism. 60 fps continuous drive is interesting, but of questionable utility, especially given the insulting lack of 24p/25p video. There are really too many mistakes to continue.

The scary possibility is that this camera will be popular simply due to ignorance of better products, coupled with Nikon's brand recognition (damn you, Ashton).

[edit: Also, that "I AM COMING" thing was the most unintentionally hilarious/deceptively brilliant attempt at a viral campaign I've ever seen (complete with misspelled domain name).]

The Q was at the #11 spot in the Japan sales rankings, but has since dropped to #47. Hipsters may still go for it in the US, but it's a lot more expensive than a Holga.

8. kristoffer4 macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

This is so disapointing! I would love a small camera with a D5100 sensor from Nikon.

Maybe with 1080p / 60 fps. to boot. ;)

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't mind it.

I want to like the Sony NEX and Samsung products, but only the micro-4/3 cameras interest me due to the size of the lenses. If I'm going to carry a small camera with big lenses, I may as well stick with a DSLR.

I suppose the Nikon may be a viable option if the lenses are made to be small enough. I don't know if the Sony lenses need to be larger as a side-effect of having an incredibly short flange distance, but personally, I don't care about the reasons.

Anyway, I have a Fuji X100, and i wouldn't buy any of these systems unless they come out with a 35-50 mm equivalent prime, and a ~25 mm equivalent prime. AND they need to be really thin. Panasonic and Olympus can do that, IMO. Sony and Samsung....not really.

10. iTiki macrumors 6502

I'm with you. Bought a Fuji X100 and it is serving me well.:D

11. OreoCookie macrumors 68030

The small sensor size immediately disqualifies the camera system for me, well done, Nikon :rolleyes: Like Pentax' Q, it's not even cheaper, seriously, I just don't get it. Let's see what Canon's mirrorless offering will look like …*

12. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

The f3.5 is the kit lens. Nikon does have a 10mm f2.8 pancake lens (27mm equivalent). Still though on such a tiny sensor I'm not jumping up and down for this. Well have to wait and see.

Here's the Amazon Price for the Nikon 1 V1 camera with lens options.

Nikon 1 V1 with 10-30mm VR / 30-110mm Kit (Black) - $1,149.00

Nikon 1 V1 with 10-30mm VR Kit (Black) - $899.00

Nikon 1 V1 with 10mm / 10-30mm VR Kit (Black) - $1,149.00

13. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Yes, but the DOF even at f/2.8 is still not going to give you much control. It's roughly equivalent to f/7.56 on a full-frame 35mm sensor. In all honesty no-one would buy a 28mm f/8.0 prime for a 35mm camera. They would (and do) buy 28mm f/2.8 lenses. But that would require Nikon to release a 10mm f/1.0 lens for this system (to give the equivalent FOV and DOF).

Of course they are not really trying to compete with full-frame 35mm cameras are they?

14. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Wow, disappointing. As said, the tiny sensors are going to cripple the DoF and ISO performance, leaving the benefits as size and...size?

The Sony NEX system is far better at the moment. It offers the compact C3, the only-slightly bigger 5/5N and then the 7. Greater range of lenses, full APS-C sensors.

15. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

And that's exactly what Nikon wants. They had to pick something that would appeal to people without hurting their dSLR sales. An APS-C mirrorless would definitely eat away at the D3100's sales, but this would appeal to people wanting portability than people who want the DoF/ISO performance of an SLR

16. firestarter thread starter macrumors 603

firestarter

The only problem with that logic, is that Nikon aren't just competing with themselves.

Nikon shouldn't be worrying about the V1 eating into DSLR sales, they should be worrying about Panasonic, Olympus, Samsung, Sony 'EVIL' cameras eating into their DSLR sales.

A lot of Nikon DSLR owners will have patiently waited to see if Nikon were going to give them a mirror less camera that would let them use their Nikon lenses. The answer is no... this is a completely new line, that's inferior to their competitors. Why would their existing customers stay loyal with Nikon at this point? They may as well buy a Sony NEX and a Nikon adapter.

17. cube macrumors G5

The first thing I did when it was announced was to check the crop factor. The weird value kills it for me. 3 would be way better than 2.7, even if the sensor is smaller.
    I didn't bother to look at anything else.

18. dona83 macrumors 6502

Nikon owners won't be going anywhere. NEX cameras will absorb people wanting to step up from point and shoots, not Nikon SLR owners.

I had a NEX for about a week, liked the camera but ended up going with a Sony Alpha A33 SLT. I may upgrade to the A77 body.

19. gnomeisland macrumors 6502

Sony has a ~25mm prime (their 16mm pancake) and they will have 35-50mm primes by the end of the year but those aren't really pocketable.

EDIT: there are some chinese R-mount knockoffs adapted to E-mount that seem decent and are pancake. Look for "SLR Magic" on eBay. Their 28mm looks promising and falls in that 35-50mm category. All manual lens though...

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

As I have said, I have a Fuji X100, but that doesn't mean that I can't join the party and buy into a new system. ;) I sold my Nikon DSLR and don't currently have a "system camera" at all.

I'd consider a Nikon V1 (or something more "pro" that comes out in the future) if they released some fast, thin primes. They have the size advantage, and a MASSIVE autofocus advantage. Heck, the AF issue is the one thing that prevents small cameras from really threatening DSLRs, and Nikon seems to have solved that. Too bad they didn't go with a camera sensor with a 2.0x crop factor. :eek:

Panny and Olympus have the most prime, pancake lens options. I mean, I'd be immediately interested in the 14 mm f/2.5, 20 mm f/1.7, and 45 mm f/1.8. They have more, but I don't want the others. ;)

Sony has a 16 mm f/2.8, but it's just too wide. As I said, Sony may have the smallest, thinnest cameras with the largest lenses because they have a very short flange distance. Unfortunately, this may be preventing them from making small lenses (not based on any information, just a guess). :confused:

Samsung has a 30 mm f/2.x and 16 mm f/2.4 (and a 20 mm f/2.8), which I didn't know about until just now! Looks like Samsung also has some decent lens options! It's a shame then that the images suck.

And Pentax Q is a joke. They even call their lenses "Toy Lenses". WTF? :confused: