nikon nx, picture project no function w/imac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mojobebop, Aug 24, 2011.

1. mojobebop macrumors newbie

just set up my new imac 21.5 base model. attempted to install programs;
    nikon capture nx, & picture project, and was surprised to see that
    they cannot be used, or opened because power pc apps are no longer supported by imac.

does anyone have any information on this?
    i switched back to mac from pc because i had planned on
    it being more benificial for my photo work. i basically open dig. files when i shoot digital in nx. then work on them further in photoshop. they look much better with the 2 combined. each one is somewhat lacking in certain areas.
    i tried lighbox awhile ago and did not like it. i'm pretty certain aperature will not be exactly what i need also.

any one know if capture 2 nx works? i remember reading some who bought a nikon d7000 used nx2 and it worked. i'm baffled as to why nx does not work. picture project as well. why would nikon not keep up with new technology?s

2. iLidz, Aug 24, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2011

iLidz macrumors member

iLidz

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8G4 Safari/6533.18.5)

I have capture nx2 and it works on my '11 iMac, although I rarely use it anymore... I'm not sure nikon is to blame. It's the same with any company, eventually technology changes enough to make certain products obsolete. But the do make nx2 which will work with current iMacs. If anything, Apple's move of making Rosetta obsolete was more of an impact here.

The good news is you have choices. You can get capture nx2 and be good to go. I think nikon used to have an upgrade price if you own the original nx. You can also go to the Mac app store and find Aperture, Photo Shop Elements and pixlemator all of which have good photo editing capabilities (aperture and pixlemator even offer free trials online). Or you could use iPhoto for no additional cost if you just need to do very basic editing. If you say you are very fond of nx's RAW file capabilities I would have to agree with you, however.

3. mojobebop thread starter macrumors newbie

----------
    oddly enough it was saying my key # is incorrect. when i have the original disc, etc. and have reused this cde on the pc several times. thanks, i'll have to re-invest with capture 2.

4. mojobebop thread starter macrumors newbie

scanner won't work either

actually just realized my epson scanner, (classic environment not supported).
    so basically nothing i had works w/the iMac.
    i'll have to reinvest in software, and hardware. oh well. i do like the scanner tho i bought it in 2001.