Nikon people.. which lens?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by flosseR, Nov 18, 2010.

1. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

Ok, I had a 24-70 Nikon f2.8 borrowed for a few weeks and fell in love with it. I saved enough to purchase that lens with a 85mm f1.8. This is pretty much the range I shoot nowadays and should suit me well enough.

Since it is a lot of cash to part with I am naturally second guessing it. Are there alternatives that give me the amazing quality of these 2 lenses in a similar package? I read about the sigma 24-70 but it has a 82mm filter thread!!..

And I really want the 24mm and not 28 from the Tamron.

If this seems like the only combination that covers this range, I will just go for it..

2. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

It's not as high-quality, but a used 35-70 AF-D is a lot cheaper than the 24-70, and would allow you to decide what you wanted to do on the wider end (the Samyang 14mm is looking nice- but may be a bit wide on FX and it's MF only.)

Paul

3. flosseR thread starter macrumors 6502a

flosseR

Thanks Compu... :) I was actually considering a manual focus lens like the Samyang.. 14mm is fine, I would love to have that wide :D I am just not sure If I am up to do MF all the time...Also the 85mm Samyang is looking very nice indeed.... I played with the 35-70 and it's not the greatest lens anymore.. its sharp and nice but the push pull never grew on me... :(

4. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

Well, the main choices are the 35-70, the Sigma 24-70 and the Nikon 24-70, so you've covered all the bases.

Paul

5. flosseR thread starter macrumors 6502a

flosseR

Thanks Compu, went ahead and ordered the 24-70 and while it arrives in a couple of days, got that lens as a loaner from a pro friend of mine... awesome glass.. really happy with my choice.
    I DO think that i will be keeping my 24-85 though instead of the 85mm since its the perfect travel lens in terms of size ... its small and has a nice zoom range...

6. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Also there is the Nikon 28-70mm f/2.8 AF. Slightly cheaper than the 24-70 but still can be about $1000 compared to the 35-70 that can go for $300-500. Of course you already purchased the 24-70. Wish I had that.

7. flosseR thread starter macrumors 6502a

flosseR

So my shiny 24-70 arrived and , since we have nice weather (-15c), i immediately too it out for a spin.
    Now I am wondering why the heck I didn't get this before . Yes its a steep price but wow... owning it is even nicer than borrowing it :)...

Am I happy with the purchase, yes.. is my bank account and wife happy.. not so much...But anyone contemplating this lens but thinking about the price tag: buy it.. you will not regret it.

:)

8. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

I bought and eventually sold it :). It wasn't for me.