Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
Hey folks,

Well, i've been scanning like a good little boy. Loving the Nikon 5000 - great results. The Nikon s/w has been more stable since I talked to Nikon and created a new profile and since I took out the Logitech drivers (they were causing KPs when I used my KVM switch).

Anyhoo, now my focus is on the SF-210 batch feeder. Slides get stuck and i'm sure it's b/c of the slide holder on the left hand side. I think the spring is tighter than i needs to be. I read a few posts on another site where folks extended the spring by adding some brass to it, but i'm not sure if it still applies as it might be for an older version of the Sf-210.

So, does anyone have any fixes? I'm sure it's that piece b/c if i pull gently to relieve some pressure before a new slide is pulled in, it goes just fine. If I don't, they usually get stuck which defeats the purpose of 'batch'.

Cheers,
keebler

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Anyhoo, now my focus is on the SF-210 batch feeder. Slides get stuck and i'm sure it's b/c of the slide holder on the left hand side.

A company called "scan cafe" has become the largest scanning servivce out there. To date they claim to have done 8,000,000+ frames. They use the Nikon 5000. Their CEO has a blog and in it he writes they do not use the automatic feeders because they can't take the risk of damaging a customer's film and the auto feeder will do that. They use white gloves and hand feed the scanners, eight million times.

I've been doing some scans myself and I don't thing film handling ios the major bottleneck. What takes the must time is Photoshop. Every frames requires at least some minimal adjustments.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
A company called "scan cafe" has become the largest scanning servivce out there. To date they claim to have done 8,000,000+ frames. They use the Nikon 5000. Their CEO has a blog and in it he writes they do not use the automatic feeders because they can't take the risk of damaging a customer's film and the auto feeder will do that. They use white gloves and hand feed the scanners, eight million times.

I've been doing some scans myself and I don't thing film handling ios the major bottleneck. What takes the must time is Photoshop. Every frames requires at least some minimal adjustments.

interesting. I've actually discovered a type that doesn't go well with the feeder so they are done manually, but most others are fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.