nikon telephoto. which one?? ARGHHH

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by flosseR, Jul 19, 2010.

1. flosseR macrumors 6502a

flosseR

Ok so I just sold my 80-200mm lens which i was so fond of. Don't ask, long story for the "sale", involves me loosing a bet.
    Anyway, I would like to get the same telephoto range again.

Now I am torn. Should I get a used 70-200mm for 1300 euros or a used AF-s 80-200mm for 1000? the 300 euros arent what i am worried about, its the fact that there is large light fall off with the 70-200, or so I read. Can anyone confirm this?
    I want f2.8 and I would prefer nikon, though the new version is just WAY too expensive... Anyone has experience with the new sigma lens?

2. compuwar macrumors 601

compuwar

If you were happy with the EDIF 80-200, you'll be at least as happy with the AF-S version (I think it's a slightly different formula, so you should be happier.)

Paul

3. flosseR thread starter macrumors 6502a

flosseR

Thanks compuwar. I think I will look at the AF-s version and have a look see.. I am not sure that VR is going to be the deciding factor, the 10 additional mm though might be...

4. CK Williams macrumors regular

I use the 70-200 VR I version on my D700 often and really like the results. It also pairs quite well with my 1.4TC. The VR helps me for odd/low light shots and I'll probably never buy another long lens without it. The VR II version is supposed to be incredible on FX, but the $$$ make it out of reach for me also right now. I haven't heard much about the Sigma yet, but their QC issues make me slightly hesitant about getting a non-macro lens from them.

5. luminosity macrumors 65816

luminosity

The 70-200 VR I vignettes on FX, and it has soft corners when it does cover the entire frame. The 70-200 VR II takes care of that and has corner to corner sharpness. It's also very sharp on your wallet.

I bypass all that by using my 180/2.8 instead of a zoom.

6. Smarterchild macrumors member

My 70-200 vignettes on my d3 when I shoot at 2.8. I love the fallout and vignette of the photos. But I'd say the 70-200 would be better. The vr adds a lot. I bet you'd be able to adjust the vignette in post processing

7. Smarterchild macrumors member

Mayi ask..what was the bet. Sounds like a good story

8. ManhattanPrjct macrumors 6502

Maybe a better question is: how often did I use that lens? If you used it a lot, then perhaps you can justify splurging for the costlier replacement. If you found yourself not using it as often, you could get the 70-300 VR and spend the rest on a new ballhead or filters.

9. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

...or replace it with another 80-200 AF-D. There are plenty of excellent/mint copies on the used market in the $700 range. I happen to like mine, and it didn't cost me an arm and a leg.