Nikon V1 thoughts

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by maflynn, Dec 14, 2011.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Anyone play with the Nikon V1 (Not the J1 which is the entry level version)?

I picked up a Canon G12 last year, so I wouldn't have lug my DSLR around on vacation. I liked the images so much that I use that most of the time. The one draw back on the camera is that does tend to produce somewhat noisy image - thanks to its small sensor. I'm able to deal with this thanks to some Topaz labs PS plug ins to clean up my images.

The Nikon V1 is Nikon's Mirror-less camera. From what I've read many people are disappointed in that they chose a smaller sensor then other ML camera makers (Canon has yet to release a ML Camera). The pictures however look phenomenal.

I'm curious if anyone has opinions on this camera, its pricey so I'm not sure its worth the step up.

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

It's not a small camera - quite a bit chunkier than my G11 especially with the zoom lens on.

Something like the Sony NEX-5N is smaller, cheaper and has much better IQ.

3. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm comparing the NEX against the V1

This has review of the V1 does a comparison between the Nex and V1
    http://mansurovs.com/nikon-1-v1-review/4

I had not realized sony made such a camera. I'll have to see if this fits my needs.

TBH, I've owned Nikon and Canon cameras so I have a proclivity towards them

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I'd buy a Micro 4/3 camera over either of the Nikons or the Sony NEX every time. The Nikon sensor is way too small of any reasonable DoF control and with the exception of the massively expensive 24mm Zeiss lens the E-Mount selection for NEX is very limiting and of medium quality at best.

5. Edge100 macrumors 68000

Agreed re: native NEX glass, but remember that Leica M-mount glass is just an adapter away.

I went with the Fuji X100, which has absolutely incredible IQ. Its fixed focal length might not be for everyone, but if you can live with 35mm, it's a tremendous camera.

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The same adaptor trick is true for the micro 4/3 cameras too. The advantage of the NEX 5n or NEX 7 is focus peaking.

Of course the really nice Leica glass is pretty pricey and the wider stuff can show some really weird colour casts on the NEX bodies (the 5n shows least).

7. Edge100 macrumors 68000

Focus peaking, and the larger sensor.

8. emorydunn macrumors 6502

emorydunn

For an opinion that seems to be at odds with everyone else's, I really like the V1. I've only played with it a bit at my local camera shop but I think it's very nicely designed.

The sensor is tiny, but then again so is the camera. While I like the E-P2 and the NEX cameras I think the ergonomics aren't quite there. And the electronic viewfinder is terrific (and built in, *cough cough*Olympus*cough cough*).

At the end of the day the number of charts and test patterns and noise pattern analysis and insane camera performance stress tests don't matter. If you like how the camera look and feels in your hand an you like the pictures that come off the memory card then go with that. Don't be pushed to another camera because the experts say is has 0.4673% better low light performance or the small sensor will limit it in a very limited range of circumstances.

Of course, with all that said I'm still waiting to see what Canon is going to introduce, because I would never hear the end of it from all of my Nikon shooting friends if I got a Nikon camera.

My final two cents is that if you are looking for a full-time camera get a DSLR and use an EVIL camera as a travel/ carry-with-you–at-all-times camera.

9. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Thanks for the responses.

robbieduncan, given my needs, budget and comfort level, I'm not considering anything other then the Nikon and Sony. While the other cameras are quite capable, my comfort level is such that I feel that Nikon and Sony are the best fit for my needs.

As for the Sony NEX-5N (or the NEX 7). I love superior IQ, but the Nikon seems to have a lightening quick AF. Also it seems with the kit lens the Nikon is more balanced in your hand. These opinions are based on what I've read. I'll be hitting my local camera store later this week to get some first hand experience.

So for my needs/wants it comes down to better AF vs. superior IQ. I've gone as far as downloading the sample RAW files for the 5N and V1 from dpreview and compare them in photoshop.

One thing that really bothers me, is that the Nikon processing engine does image smoothing for RAW files for ISOs greater then 400. This may also be one reason why the clarity and sharpness are so different then the 5N. I shoot in RAW so I get to do the sharpening/smoothing/modification. I really don't want the camera to mess with the image too much.

10. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

That's cool. One of the best things about the digital camera market right now is the breadth of choice available. Out of the Sony or Nikon choice I'd get the Sony. The NEX 5n is a fantastic little camera. The NEX 7 is absolutely gorgeous bit it is £$¢!

11. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its funny you mention that, I'm blown away at the image quality of the 5N over the V1. I'm trying to like the Nikon but from a pure image quality perspective, the sony is clearly superior. The big test is how slow, if you want to consider it slow the AF lock is. The one thing I don't want is to miss any shots of my kids :)

12. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Can you try a 5N? In the UK you could buy one online and play with it for a week or two and send it back penalty free. Maybe go to a store and see if they'll let you try one out in different situations. I've not sure how the AF is on the Sony or Nikon as I don't know anyone who owns either!

13. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

My local camera shop allows me to do this, the problem is they're out of stock of the 5N. They have a demo unit I can use in store to get a feel. I'd take the plunge in the NEX-7 if they had that in stock as well. I'll need to see when they expect their inventory to be replenished.

14. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

The NEX 7 would be a good choice: it has minimal shutter lag, much shorter than the NEX 5. I think inventory is going to be constrained for a while on that though!

15. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed, but I hope to get a chance to play with one Friday when I head to my camera store

16. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've been obsessing over which camera to get V1/NEX-5N/NEX-7 and I like just about everything the NEX-5N has on paper with this one large exception. The AF system. I'm wicked concerned that I'll lose shots of my kids running around - I attached a couple of examples from my G12 as they were running around in the rain at Disney.

I state on paper because I've yet to hold and try the cameras personally. I'll be doing that tomorrow. I have some Nikon glass and with the V1 and the FT1 adapter I have the option of using my lenses, of course with such a small camera, those lenses will be ungainly large.

Any 5N or 7 owners here at MR who wish to chime in?

Attached Files:

17. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Update

Thanks for everyone's opinion's, recommendations and thoughts on this.

I just purchased the Nikon V1 camera. The bottom line for me was AF speed, with two kids on the go, I wanted the best camera to capture them in motion. Since I don't print anything over A3, the smaller sensor size should not affect me adversely. Also comparing samples, I found that the V1 produced some extremely vivid excellent pictures and that's the really what its about.

Finally, lens selection, being a Nikon person for years I have a peace of mind with what Nikon has and will have for the V1.

18. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Make sure to post some shots taken with it :) Which lens or lenses did you go for. And, for that system at least this seems like an important question, which colour :p

19. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Definitely will - of course I picked the black camera - something seems horribly wrong if I opted for the pink Nikon 1 - not that there's anything wrong with pink :p

This is a Christmas present from my wife to me, so she not let me "play" with it until the 25th. I'll have to wait and see what she says

20. emt1 macrumors 65816

I've played around with the V1 quite a bit in the store and it definitely has super fast focusing. Let me know how it works out for you. I might have to pick one up for myself.

21. ssmed macrumors 6502

ssmed

V1 Experience

• The image quality appears to be good in terms of sharpness and the colour is very natural. White balance seems better than quite a few DSLRs I have used.
    • Focusing is fast when in good light, but not as good in a dim room.
    • I have enjoyed using this camera and it is VERY much lighter than the D300 that I use for work, whilst feeling solid and robust
    • The price of the flash should have been in the overall price to be more competitive

SS

22. maflynn, Dec 22, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2011

maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Here's an untouched image of my kids.f5.6, ISO at 800. I'm extremely happy with the quality of the images and fast AF lock.

Agreed, since there is no built in flash, it did increase over all price

Attached Files:

23. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

Did you check out the Lumix GX1 or PEN EP3 before getting the V1?
    Personally, at $600 or more for these things.... I can't understand it. Why not a DSLR or at least wait until these things drop below $300. At the rate they're coming out you'd only have to wait a few months.

24. AgRacer macrumors member

www.sansmirror.com

Thom Hogan is a big Nikon guy and in his review, he does like the V1, but says Nikon overpriced it compared to the competition. It should be a $600 camera compared to the $900 Nikon is asking.

"The retail list at announcement was US$900 with the 10-30mm kit lens, though we're already seeing discounting from that price. That price is high. Considerably high. This is really a US$600 camera, I think, maybe US$700 in a pinch. But US$900 puts it in a rarified class in mirrorless cameras, and it doesn't have the credentials to warrant that, in my opinion. Given the low parts count, the small sensor (sensor cost changes considerably with size), and the competition, Nikon is coming into the mirrorless market late and at a high price. "

I think he carries the Olympus EP-3 for his small/light work vs. the D700 or D3s.

25. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

I really don't see the point of this range. The sensor and lens combinations don't allow any useful creative control over depth of field. You may as well stick with one of the (cheaper) point and shoots, or go for the 4/3 or Sony 'EVIL' cameras which will at least allow some creativity.

I hope Canon use a decent sensor size if they bring out a mirror less camera in 2012.