Nikon ViewNX difficulity -- help!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Ab Ovo, May 28, 2011.

1. Ab Ovo macrumors newbie

Ab Ovo

NYC, NY 10014 Eastern Long Island 11937 USA
    (To double my chances for help, will post on general and on digital threads ...)

I wanted to put digital photographs onto my computer. I still run Tiger, have lots of space. There is nothing on it but a few e-mails. I've a Nikon D90 and loaded the CD ... the icon for Nikon Transfer and for ViewNX went into my dock and I loaded over 1,000 photographs. For the first few weeks all was well. ViewNX when clicked always came up as a full page-like contact sheet and I could click along and see all my photos.

Then ... in the midst of looking through photos one day all duplicated! So I went through and deleted all copies. I hadn't tweaked any shots, only had looked.

Then ... a week later ViewNX seemed to have "grabbed" all photos in PhotoBooth and in iPhoto. They became listed as Roll ...

In the midst of deleting/trashing those shots, the application closed. It would not reopen. I trashed the photos installed and uninstalled Transfer and View. Nikon said to do this. Reinstalled the CD. View NX would not open.

I worked with Nikon. Mostly they say uninstall and reinstall. Via computer, I think Nikon's help system recognizes buzz words and shoots out answers. They do not answer direct questions like can the disc be flawed?

I uninstall and reinstall. All sts up and seems to be well. I click the viewNX icon and the wondow comes up it has failed.

My photos on the chip do load into a Pictures file ... not in order of date taken as was original with ViewNX when it worked, but seem to be every other one. The first photo up is midway on the chip, then the first one taken, and then back and forth ... so I have my shots, but still cannot use or open View.

Anyone else ever have this trouble or have any ideas to help? Thanks.

2. H2Ockey macrumors regular

When you are uninstalling and re-installing this is from a disc? How old is the disc? I would say to go to the Nikon site and download a digital copy and install that, it should be fully updated, depending on how old your copy is there may be an issue needing it to be updated in steps? ViewNX and Transfer are both free to DL.

3. Ab Ovo thread starter macrumors newbie

Ab Ovo

NYC, NY 10014 Eastern Long Island 11937 USA
    Thanks. Yes, I use the disc coming with the camera purchase. Nikon suggested I uninstall and reinstall. Did it several times. ViewNX won't open. Then Nikon said download latest updates, then try. Did that. Still, View won't open. Then Nikon said to open a new administrative account and run photos to that. I am only user, but don't want to do that. Yet. The app did work. then didn't and now won't. Why is what drives me crazy, and why I cannot correct it. I want the large contact sheet and all information back. If I can't get program to work I will then do what Nikon says.

4. H2Ockey macrumors regular

At this point I would say try without your discs and updating but install ViewNX from Nikon's website. My bet is there is an issue updating the version on the disc. If I remember right I went through this issue a long time ago, and just put the discs away and downloaded from Nikon.