Nillkin Tempered Glass - Not So Hot

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by davpel24, Nov 23, 2014.

1. davpel24 macrumors member

davpel24

After reading posts from people who speculated that the Nillkin glass might be the best available, I took the plunge and ordered one off eBay. It arrived from China lighting fast -- within a week. Unfortunately, that is the only good thing I have to say about this glass after installing it on my 6+

The adhesive only covers the screen portion of the glass, not the borders. Therefore, the edges continually lift and there is an obvious halo around the inside of the borders. I've attached photos below. This glass is so poorly conceived that I am going to file a claim with eBay. BTW, this appears to be a genuine Nillkin glass given the quality of the box and included materials. I've attached a photo of the box as well for those interested.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mr.thing macrumors member

I completely agree with the above review. Got the same protector yesterday. It makes naked iPhone looks really bad withe the sharp edges of the glass that does not stick.

3. johnnyapples33d, Nov 24, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2014

johnnyapples33d macrumors member

Great on white iPhones

Just got mine from China. I think these look ideal on white iPhones. My 6 Plus never looked cleaner.

I've tried iCarez Glass, Body Guard Glass and a Spigen (forgot the name but it was a wet install) and Nillkin is by far the cleanest looking one.

The adhesive is on the screen portion only and I was able to apply with no halo effect on the inside boarders of the screen.

I don't have a camera for pic but there are a few other photos on this sub with a Nillkin on white so you can see how clean it is.

I did purchase from this eBay seller (in fact I just bought a spare and one for my wife's white iPhone 6). here's the link I bought from: http://www.ebay.com/itm/35120759852...49&var=620393105368&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

It took about two weeks to come from China.

So far this is the holy grail screen protector I've been looking for.

4. Sal09 macrumors regular

Do you reckon this will work with apple leather case ?

5. nguyen6323 macrumors newbie

I also purchased this screen protector and have tried it with multiple cases.
    The ones I've tried and fit are:
    Apple silicone case (i assume the leather one would fit also)
    Spigen neo hybrid
    and Rinke slim clear

In the cases, it reduces the lip height of some of the cases which in my opinion feels very nice as the screen is almost flush with the edges of the case but there is still some lip to protect the screen when face down.

If you are looking to get this screen protector though, I highly recommend using it with a case, as the cases prevent the sides of the glass from catching onto things and lifting.

6. davpel24 thread starter macrumors member

davpel24

I can't imagine trying to use this protector if you go naked or if, like me, you use only a skin like Slickwraps. The edges will constantly lift and you will get a halo effect on the screen. I can't speak for how it works with a case, but the buyer should definitely beware.

Also, the you should know that the advertising is false. It doesn't actually cover the curved part of the screen. It goes to the edge, no question. But it doesn't cover the curve.

I can't for the life of me figure out why they didn't put the adhesive on the whole protector.

7. johnnyapples33d macrumors member

Agreed on all points. This screen protector is best with a case.

8. kmpoboy2, Nov 25, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2014

kmpoboy2 macrumors 6502

kmpoboy2

Nillkin Tempered Glass - Not So Hot

Don't know how to manage to put it on because mine has halo in the inside border on the left side because it doesn't stick and the bottom corner is lifting from the screen.

Btw, any one knows what's the function of the pice with the multiple size holes that came in the package? I originally thought it was for the home button but then, why the different sizes?

9. Nipommu macrumors regular

got mine. this is awful. its exactly what the op stated. no adhesive on the borders, glass feels tacky and sharp overall not worth it. if not moshi glass, mime, iloome then what is out there that has coverage around the home button? i've given up curved edge protection but i want the bottom home button area has to be covered.

10. Kisey macrumors 6502a

All glass protectors are going to be like the ones you listed. If you want coverage around the home button, you'll have to go with a wet install protector.

11. joekim1026 macrumors regular

You can do what I did. I took pictures and sent them a message on eBay. They shipped out a new one free of charge.

12. shadowarachh macrumors member

mine broke the first time the phone slid off the center console into the floorboard. also didn't like the lack of adhesive under the painted portion. any time even the slightest pressure was applied it would pull from the center.

13. AuroraProject macrumors 65816

AuroraProject

Check this out:

http://www.canaloo.com/blogs/news/18263499-canaloo-pro2-the-true-full-screen-tempered-glass-for-iphone-6-6-plus

No reviews yet, but it looks promising.

14. Sixplus macrumors newbie