Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Nimble, the new eco-friendly company created by former Mophie employees, today announced its latest product category: iPhone cases. Similar to its portable chargers and wireless chargers, Nimble created its "Bottle Case" line with the environment in mind, and each accessory is made from 100 percent recycled plastic.

Nimble-Bottle-Case-3.jpg

With each sale of the Bottle Case, Nimble is pledging to donate 5 percent to nonprofit partners that are working to protect the planet's oceans and marine life. For whichever color of the Bottle Case you choose, the proceeds will go to a different organization.
[*]Soft Coral - Coral Reef Alliance
[*]Glacier - CarbonFund.org
[*]Deep Sea - Sea Save Foundation
[*]Seagrass - The Seabin Foundation
[*]Black Sand - WILDCOAST The Bottle Case is available for iPhone X, XS, XS Max, and XR. The company described the accessory as having a very slim profile with solid protection thanks to a durable fabric exterior. It includes several variations of rPET (recycled plastic bottles), with a hard rPET inner shell that's enclosed with the durable rPET fabric on the outside for a comfortable grip when you hold it.

On the inside, the Bottle Case has a soft rPET fabric interior lining to cushion your iPhone, and a rPET camera ring around the edges of the iPhone's camera bump. The Bottle Case is also launching alongside the new Nimble Ocean Club Membership, which allows customers to gain a new case every month, exclusive access to member-only products, and first access to new case colors. A part of their purchase will go to a different ocean-related cause each month.

Nimble-Bottle-Case-4.jpg

Customers who are interested in one-time purchases can buy the Bottle Case for $39.95 on Nimble's website. Similar to Nimble's other products, the Bottle Case can be recycled through Nimble when it's no longer needed (at no added cost) thanks to the company's One-for-One Tech Recovery Project. Afterwards, shoppers can even get 10 percent off their next Bottle Case.

Nimble-Bottle-Case-2.jpg

When Nimble first launched last August, the company focused only on charging accessories, with a line of wireless chargers, portable chargers, and charging cables. The company's first set of accessories proved to be reliable and nicely designed, and you can still purchase them from Nimble.com as well.

Article Link: Nimble Launches New 'Bottle Case' for iPhone Made From 100% Recycled Plastic

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I like the philosophy behind the company and cases, even though I won't be getting one. I can see why they will be offering a subscription, as these cases will probably wear pretty quickly and look very worn.

I would like to see Apple do something like this.

Reactions: H3LL5P4WN

whyamihere

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
'nati
I like the idea and appreciate the cause. Hopefully the next iteration will have dedicated volume/power buttons.

HacKage

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2010
Almost $500 a year on phone cases, I think I'll just stick with my $1 case that lasts 2 years with 50c tempered glass that can be replaced as and when!

Reactions: atmenterprises

whyamihere

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2008
'nati
Huh? I see power and volume buttons...

Odd, I only see the case itself "bumped" over the buttons. I'm referring to dedicated buttons (like when the Apple leather cases switched to them a couple years ago making button presses much easier and accurate).

iphone-7-plus-leather-case-tan-07.jpg

Reactions: bearda

JCoe13

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2014
Chicago, IL
These are great cases and look really nice! If I didn't already have one, I'd definitely pick one of these up! And hats off to helping a great cause.

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68040
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Not going to lie, I bought two.

However @NimbleforGood, I was so excited to read about the cases in your email that I missed the info about the subscription.

I had to dig a bit for it on the site, too.

Maetzle

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2014
Cool idea. I'd probably buy one if I were in the market for a new case, but after wasting so much money on an Apple silicone case that fell apart within a very short time I switched to a cheaper option.

Nice marketing strategy for the wealthy feel-good peeps of the world who will buy into this idea / cause. Great marketing scheme to sell an overpriced $40 subscription for cases that likely cost less than $3 to manufacture. Yikes.

Everything Apple makes themself these days is extremely overprices. And most of those products are probably not environmentally friendly as those cases are. Yet people still buy them.

TotalMacMove

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2013
USA
Everything Apple makes themself these days is extremely overprices. And most of those products are probably not environmentally friendly as those cases are. Yet people still buy them.

No apple products are not environmentally friendly, yes people still buy them because they have very good marketing. The majority of the world does not care about the environment and/or goes along with the idea that they themself cant make a significant difference. People have good experience or satisfaction with apple products so they keep buying whereas you have an item here that will last you a month tops before it looks like the bottom of the ocean.

Last edited:

star-affinity

macrumors 68000
Nov 14, 2007
Nice marketing strategy for the wealthy feel-good peeps of the world who will buy into this idea / cause. Great marketing scheme to sell an overpriced $40 subscription for cases that likely cost less than $3 to manufacture. Yikes.

I still don't see what is bad with the idea to try and change the environment for the better – this is one way of doing so

Only for the wealthy? It's not some luxury boat we're talking about. But for the feel-good middle class perhaps? :)

And I always think it's good when people care even if their "one person action" doesn't change the world, many people's personal action together can – at least somewhat.

Reactions: H3LL5P4WN
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.