Ninety percent (90%) of "one handed use" is for texting while driving.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by doug in albq, Apr 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doug in albq Suspended

doug in albq

Now let's get 101 replies that describe how, other than texting while driving, one uses their phone with one hand—which we all know will only fill that 10% of other one-handed phone useage besides texting.

(holding device to ear does not count, who does that anyway?)

2. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

Well I am to young to drive and I use my phone with one hand all the time. Like when I'm eating or walking or laying in bed and things like that. So yeah 100% of my one handed use witch I do a lot of is not while driving.

3. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

Holding something in your other hand while using phone
    Pull phone out to check it quickly
    Laying in bed on your side

I actually use my phone alot with one hand.. I only use my other hand when i need to type alot.

4. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

-Surfing the web. Why would you need two hands to scroll?
    -Some games like Tiny Tower or Klondike/Solitaire
    -Reading email or texts
    -Sending a quick text while walking, especially when it's cold (I'm a college student, so I do a lot of walking and texting around campus)

5. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

[citation needed]

6. doug in albq thread starter Suspended

doug in albq

1. Multiple studies based on empirical evidence.

Contributors: Doug in albq, joe six-pack, Mrs. Common Knowledge.
    Last edited: Right now.

7. MacKai macrumors regular

MacKai

First of all, anyone who believes that 90% of one handed smartphone use is for texting and driving is a fool.

Second, anyone who text and drive is a fool!

Third, most of my use on my iPhone is one handed. They only time I use two is when I am playing games that require two hands, typing email, texting, and using Maps.

8. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I can't use my other hand (except to press like A+B, and simple stuff that only requires my thumb), so I do everything with one hand, including using my iPhone. :rolleyes:

9. doug in albq, Apr 8, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2014

doug in albq thread starter Suspended

doug in albq

I appreciate your response describing your unique situation. Your reply adds to this thread significantly.

I find typing with one thumb on the iPhone, with it's very small keyboard when held one-handed, very difficult at its current screen size and actually welcome a larger screen iPhone. I would rather have to reach farther with a thumb than try and hit the very small keyboard keys on the 4 inch screen with any accuracy.

Do you have any issues with the small size of the keyboard when typing with one thumb?

10. sumsingwong macrumors 6502a

sumsingwong

When I have a drink (beer) in one hand. I'm not gonna put that drink down just to check my phone. When I'm eating. I'm not gonna touch my phone with a greasy hand. Most tasks on an iPhone can be accomplished one handed. The only time 2 hands are required is while playing some games. I typed this one handed while laying on my couch watching a movie. I don't text and drive. I invoke SIRI and she composes the text for me then sends it. My eyes stay on the road.

11. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I've never had any issues, no. I'm just looking now, and not even my full thumb touches the screen, just the tip. So I guess I've learnt to use it for better accuracy.

12. I7guy macrumors G5

Use it one handed on the subway whilst holding onto the railings.

13. Amplelink macrumors 6502a

90% of my usage - and I'm not an outlier - is one-handed. Just sitting on a couch surfing the web or browsing through Twitter/Facebook, why do I need two hands? Picking up my phone to look something up, like the weather or sports scores. Again, why do i need two hands. The only times I need two hands is when I need to type something or when I need to zoom into something. That's it.

14. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

Pointless topic of the day.
    We all know the real reason for one handed use
    is to play flappy bird while driving.

15. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

90% or more of my use of the iPhone is with one hand. The screen is designed to be the right size to do that with. If you were basing your anecdotal evidence off of giant screened androids, those are impossible to do much with one hand so I get where you are coming from, but not from smaller phones like the iPhone.

16. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

[MOD NOTE]
    Failing to provide citation after being requested when making a statement of fact - closing as per the rules.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.