Ninja Gaiden 2

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by pcypert, Jun 2, 2008.

1. pcypert macrumors 6502

Picked this up today. Anyone else getting it? Just wanted to be the first one to post for once...I'm usually playing catch up on games. Just about to pop it in.

Paul

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I'm sure your girlfriend won't appreciate you telling us that ;)

(waits for peeps to work out the dirty innuendo)

Back on topic. Let me know if the game is more accesible, the others were too hard for me. Also if the camera really is as awful as the reviews indicate. :)

3. BothBarsOn macrumors regular

Was thinking about it, but I keep reading that the difficulty is all over the shop and the camera is more or less an enemy unto itself ...

Intrigued to hear how you get on with it!

4. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

It can't be worse than the first one... or could it? Well it looks great. My 360 finally succumbed to the RROD. I don't know what I'm going to do.

5. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I've read that the camera is the worst in the series and thats saying a lot...the camera in the other game was horrible. I would pick it up but I'm sure NGII: Black will be out shortly with more beef to it.

Bless

6. pcypert thread starter macrumors 6502

Played the first chapter or level or whatever.

Camera is rough for me. It's at a really low angle. There's some buttons that'll quickly change to behind the ninja and stuff, but you're so frantically mashing buttons that you're not really in a place to worry about that.

Graphics are great. Levels so far are really interesting. I love the nod to the NES game at the end of the first level. Not a spoiler it's the first freaking level.

Voice acting for me is pretty horrible so far. Story also seems to be pretty lame, but I'm not into game stories typically. Anything like the "Black Cobra Ninja Squad" or whatever that's not heavily toungue in cheek is gonna get a bad review from me though.

Gameplay. Pretty hard. I managed to not die in the first level...just barely. I like how if you kill of the whole group you get your health back that you lost in that fight if you're timely about it. So things are just hard. But the boss battle was brutal. The controls are OK, but got in the way here. There's these charged, combo attacks but when you go do them that button also does another attack, so it might work, it might not. I felt like I was waggling a wiimote on a poorly calibrated TV screen, no mashing a fixed function button.

So far I'm not sure. I was cussing and generally not enjoying myself through the first level. But the fights are pretty cool. There's some humor in the game training as well. Kind of nice.

I think I would feel like I'd accomplished something if I beat it, but who knows if I'll be able to not break my 360 in a fit of rage in the process.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

8. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

Best Ninja Gaiden game yet:

Attached Files:

9. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

Ninja Gaiden 2 was the best of the series. Is it on the Virtual Console yet? I remember being "wowed" by the cinematic cut-scenes. It was a great game, graphically, by NES standards.

10. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    I personally don't see why everyone complains about the difficulty of the first one. I thought the first DMC on "Dante Must Die" was much harder. But I have heard as well that the camera is crap in this one too.

Also, Itikagi has officially resigned from and is suing Tecmo. Quite a shocker.
    http://www.gamespot.com/news/6191979.html

11. marclapierre13 macrumors 6502a

marclapierre13

I dont have a 360, but i cant wait to go over to my friends and play it. I loveeeeed the first one on xbox, it was epic.

12. BraveSirRobin37 macrumors newbie

after about 6 hrs in, i got to lvl 9. camera is good, if u know how to handle it. possible spoiler* that being said, the camera for the tests of valor is useless, they are kickin ur butt from every angle. but great gore, super character control...then master the izuna drop..ull own!

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

14. Vster macrumors 6502

I loved the first one on xbox and this one looks pretty sweet. Just have to finish GTA IV fist lol :D

15. e.m. macrumors 6502

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well I traded in a couple of games, and as the summer drought is soon going to be starving us all - I put my reservations aside and bought Ninja Gaiden 2.

Three chapters in.... and it does play really well and the camera isn't quite as bad as I thought it would be. It's on par with Devil May Cry 4.

The story is nonsense of course, but does make some kind of sense if you actually read the instruction book which explains fiends, and archfiends.

Graphically its lush at 1080p and I am not experiencing any framerate issues in this PAL version that CVG claimed it was riddled with. So far it's dazzlingly fast.

Combat is much better than the first and it is an easier game than the first.

I have not died yet and I have been in 3 boss fights.

Checkpoints are generous.

I finished DMC4 and didn't paticualrly think the game was very good. Combat was fun, but random locations that did not seem to follow or make sense, awful bosses that were just too crap for words and the fact that it made the criminal mistake of making you play someone who wasn't the hero Dante.....

These flaws which ruined DMC4 for me, thankfully are not present in NG2 so far. Locations make sense in the context of its story and it doesn't feel random, it feels right (even if I was skeptical of the future setting for this).

So yeah... I'm enjoying it so far (more so than DMC4)