Nintendo 3DS XL vs Switch just for Mario Games

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Frisco, Mar 17, 2018.

?

Nintendo 3DS XL vs Switch just for Mario Games?

This poll will close on Aug 17, 2063 at 12:16 PM.
  1. 3DS XL or 2DS

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. Switch

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  1. Frisco macrumors 68020

I already had the Nintendo 3DS XL. Started to get a little bored and broke (as in tight on cash) so I sold it on eBay about a year ago.

I am feeling the Mario itch again. I don't have too much patience to learn new things much Mario Odyseey has definitely caught my interest.

So should I rebuy the 3DS XL for Super Mario 3D Land and New Super Mario Bros. 2 or just get the Switch for Odyssey?

Very casual gamer here. I don't play Mario Kart, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Mario Maker, or Luigi's Mansion type games. Just traditional Mario.

2. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

If you don't use the 3D then get a 2DS XL - there are more Mario games on the 3DS/DS platform right now and will cost a lot less money.

A Switch would be a big investment for you...

3. Frisco thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks! Yeah I don't really care about 3D.

4. Sensamic macrumors 68030

I'll just say Mario Odissey is the best Mario game ever for me. Mario 64 is second.

It's a game not to be missed if you like Mario platform games. Such a joy from start to finish.

5. iosuser macrumors 6502a

I love and have owned every single Mario game since the SNES, but Odyssey is sadly not one of them. I pretty much stopped playing half way collecting moons. It is a very short game full of needless fluff to make it seem longer than it really is. I enjoyed the Mario games on the 3DS more than Odyssey.

Go with the 3DS OR 2DS.

6. thisismyusername macrumors 6502

I can't think of a single Mario game I'd rather play over Odyssey, not by a long shot. 3D Land/World can't hold a candle to them. That said, buying the Switch just for that game is a waste of money.

Are you dead set on the new'ish Mario games? There are ways to get a Mario fix for virtually nothing if you're ok with the older Mario games.

7. Frisco thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks for everyone's advice---I appreciate it!

I actually went the Wii U route this time. Super Mario 3D World for the Wii U has me thinking I made the right choice.
    I had Super Mario Land the 3DS XL and liked it a lot, but couldn't get enough stars to advance through upper Worlds.

New Super Mario Brothers U is also very good.

For now my fix is satisfied for awhile. Never played any Galaxy games, but I can play them on the Wii U if I get a Wii Remote. Never actually played anything on the original Wii.

This is good--a lot of Mario in my future! Take care and thanks!

8. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Interesting - Wii U wasn't on your list.

Hopefully you got a great deal on one.

Around here, they're $170 (I guess at Gamestop you get 2 free games under $20), but by the time you add in a Wii controller ($25 used), the Nunchuck ($10 used) and the Pro controller ($47 used :eek:), you might as well spent the extra dollars for a NEW Switch...