Nintendo 3DS

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Dagless, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Well there's a lot of E3 stuff in lots of different threads, but nothing for what was arguably the biggest drop at E3 - the 3DS!

http://e3.nintendo.com/interviews/#/?v=interview_stradling

And now devs are hinting at the 3DS having a friends list, achievements and voice chat (though even the DS had that in Metroid Hunters).

Some 3DS games-
    All of them listed here.

So far we know it is backwards compatible with DS carts, has a 3D display with adjustable slider (with an off option), minimum cart size is 2gb, has a gyroscope, pressure sensitive touchscreen, can take 3D photos.

More pics here.

2. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Of course I am getting one :D

Disappointed bout the size of the top screen though, especially as I'm accustomed to the dsi xl now. Maybe 3DS XL will be out 6 months after ;)

3. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

My friend just got the XL the other month. It's NICE! If I didn't have a DS Lite and this 3DS weren't on the way, I'd buy one.

I solved my problem with the screen being so tiny though... I went to the eye doctor and got glassess.

4. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Release date yet? I heard 2011, but I'd like to know more.

5. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

The only date floating around is "before March 2011". I figured it would be sooner, what E3 demonstrated was not a prototype and some of the games looked very far along into development.

6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Nintendo said "during this fiscal year", which means sometime before March 2011.

It could be Christmas this year, but it could also be next.

7. micahR macrumors newbie

I would have rather seen a 3D PSP2. That would have been better IMO. Oh well, I guess I will throw more money at the House that Mario built. :(

8. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

9. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Well, considering the DS has done so much better than the PSP and has some of the best games available for its platform, I'm not sharing in your opinion.

Besides, if Sony had done this first, their offering would probably require glasses, now at least they have Nintendo to lead the way again. ;)

10. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

I hope the PSP2 has a 3D display, especially if its good as the 3DS'.

11. Savor Suspended

Savor

This is the next device I plan to get on launch day after the iPhone 4. My DS Lite already sold.

I love both Nintendo and Sony. I grew up on their products. I read the 3D on this new device is jaw dropping once you see it. Has great potential. Hope to get the 3DS at $150. If they release it before this year ends, it is going to be the biggest Christmas seller of the year. Haven't seen any brand new video game console launches since 2006. Just revisions since. The PSP Go is nothing new either.

I'm excited for this. Already missing my DS Lite. Hope Nintendo releases it in some appealing colors. No glossy white for me anymore. Too girly and easily dirty (turning yellowish) at the shoulder buttons. I kept my DS Lite very pristine too. Gonna love the stronger hardware on this new one.

12. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

That might be asking a bit much. The DSi is $170, and this has many more features than that. In my opinion, if this costs under $250, that will be a good deal.
    They have said that they want to have it available in all markets by March of 2011. I doubt it will be available this holiday season, but it sounds like it won't be much longer after that.

13. Nuck81 macrumors regular

I can't wait to get my hands on one. Nintendo can seem to do no wrong the last year or two...

14. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

I am glad the graphics have been improved. It's now supposed to be Wii-quality which is quite good for a portable device.

15. Savor Suspended

Savor

You could be right about the price with the 3DS hardware. The DS practically had Nintendo 64 graphics just like the GBA was closer to the Super NES. This 3DS is anywhere between having a GameCube and Wii in your pocket. Outstanding graphics for a handheld and in 3D!

Knowing Nintendo though and what they did with the Wii, I still say they sell 3DS at $200 or less considering the Wii is the same price now. To win any console war, they are aware the industry is price sensitive and don't necessarily need to have the best specs to compete. Nintendo makes the best games and it always has the best resale value where their games hardly doesn't drop in price within a year or two.

At less than $250, I will still get the 3DS no matter what! Next to the iPhone 4, this will be the hottest selling product within the next 9 months. I expect total chaos just like the iPhone 4 launch. I love how Nintendo is very original and creative while Sony tries to make their devices more versatile and multimedia. I heart Japanese manufacturers. A quality about them like the Japanese culture that is fun and quirky. They all have strengths and weakneses that is complimentary to each other. At first, this 3D could be a "gimmick". But I have faith in Nintendo and they will make games fun and unique using these new tricks. A magic quality about them that will make me feel like I am a kid again watching Captain EO at Disneyland for the first time. (BTW, R.I.P. MJ one year later)

I'm hoping a release before Christmas, but I can wait until March if I had to. I trust Nintendo will work out the early bugs for any launch. They can make some durable products. I got a Wii since launch, and still works like a charm. My two little sibs practically abuse that console. Nintendo will likely revise it over and over like they did to GBA and DS. I'll likely prefer if they made an XL version. The original DS Lite was too small and uncomfortable to hold for too long. But I'll get the 3DS original and then trade it in at GameSpot if it feels uncomfortable and a XL upgrade occurs. My original PSP (fatty, matte back) was my favorite to hold even though it was like a brick in my pocket.

I can't wait! The Nintendo 3DS is going to be flying off the shelves once the public start seeing the demos on display.

16. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

It's actually got some improvements over the Wii.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-NQBKVlUBc, this was rendered on the same GPU that the 3DS has (but bear in mind it has to render 2x as much for the 3D effect).