Nintendo CEO has died at 55...

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Gamer9430, Jul 12, 2015.

1. Gamer9430, Jul 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2015

Gamer9430 macrumors 68020

Gamer9430

Nintendo announced today that their CEO Satoru Iwata has passed away today at 55 due to cancer. My thoughts and prayers go to his family and Nintendo in this time of sadness. This is a large loss to the gaming community. Iwata helped to create the GameCube, DS, 3DS, Wii, and Wii U, all of nintendo's recent products. He will be greatly missed by Nintendo fans as well as the gaming community. RIP Satoru Iwata 1960-2015

2. Tubamajuba macrumors 68000

My favorite quote from Iwata:

“On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer.”

R.I.P Iwata

3. 940272 Suspended

As a huge Nintendo fan, this was like a blow in the chest. I can't believe it.

RIP Satoru Iwata. See you next game.

4. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

5. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

:(

The rainbow is pretty cool and fitting.

The image of Mario on the steps in the rain, is also very fitting and sad.....

RIP...........

I can say when I was growing up, it was all about Nintendo. Everyone I knew had the game console and we all loved playing the games.

6. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

To me they still hold a lot of charm. In a sense they're exactly what a games console should be. You don't have to pop in a DVD and wait for it to install, or update, or have Day 1 patches - it's simply pop in the game, get some friends over, and have a bit of a laugh.

The whole purpose of a games console in the first instance was to enable consumers to play games and have fun without the hassle that comes with a PC; of installing games, updating, patching, editing ... now it seems that these modern 'next gen' consoles are getting further away from that. It's just as much hassle installing onto a PC these days - even less so if you've got an SSD in your PC (and less said about the SATA 2 interface on the PS4/Xbone, the better. It should never be quicker to run games from an external USB 3 HDD than from the internal hard-drive).

I've still got a Wii and Mario Kart Wii - and I still get friends over, have a good few bevs, a smoke to take the edge off, and play/rage away the night. I really, really love Nintendo for that. Sure the graphics won't win any awards, yet the gameplay is exceedingly charming, and names like 'Moo Moo Meadows' or 'Grumble Volcano' would soften even the hardest heart.

Thank you again, Satoru Iwata.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Oh they have those too, less than most publishers but they're there! Smash Bros had a beefy update on day 1. Totally agree with them being fun. I've got all the consoles, plus iDevices, and the only games I keep coming back to are Mario Kart 8, Smash Bros, Mario 3D World. They just know how to entertain people and add value in a world where games can be less than £1.

Already posted about this on the games board here but I'm pretty gutted about this. I love reading the stories about him, and if anyone from Nintendo is reading this I'd love to read an autobiography!

8. unplugme71 macrumors 68030

To bad there's no reset for this "game over". :/