Nintendo Dsi or PSP?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by puma1552, Mar 28, 2010.

1. puma1552 macrumors 601

What's better and why? I just got my gf a DSi here in Japan, but I don't see any option for English (though I know the US models let you choose).

Not sure if I prefer the simpler games of the DS or more complex games like Assassin's Creed for PSP though; I grew up with Nintendo. I'm not gonna lie, I get kinda scared playing some of those freaky RPG games, haha.

I'm leaning towards a PSP though, because it's a bit cheaper and I can set it to English.

Curious though, I was wondering if it's true that the resale value on a Japanese version would be higher than the American one? If anything I thought it would be lower?

Which system would you choose and why?

2. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

PSP; have one. Up until I recently got more busy, I was addicted to that thing. They are actually quite fun and have a relatively wide-variety game selection, with pretty decent graphics.

3. No ice please macrumors 6502

My brother has a PSP and boy is it a mess. First off, the Wifi card it has is Wireless B. The glossy coat on it is a scratch and dirt mess. Memory cards are really expensive. And UMD disks are extremely fragile/expensive. So PSP no DSi Yes!!!

4. Hissori macrumors member

Just to warn you, japanese DSi are INCOMPATIBLE with American games (I am 90% sure). You need to buy an American DSi in order to play english games. Basically, the DSi you bought cannot display english. It displays japanese and plays japanese games only.

DS lite and original DS are not region locked, so those you can change language and interchange with american and japanese games.

EDIT: nvm.

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Nope! DSi games are region locked. DS games aren't. You can have a Japanese DSi and play US/Eur imports just fine and dandy.

It's a tough choice though. I've got and swear by both. The DS has some outright brilliant games like 2 Advance Wars games, Final Fantasy III and IV DS, FF Tactics, Mario Kart, New Mario, Pokemon Platinum and the Gold/Silver remakes, 3 original Castlevania games (the absolute best platform games of all time), 3 Kirby games, Nanostray, 2 highly acclaimed Zelda titles, Metroid Prime Hunters.

I play my PSP mostly for the console-quality RPG titles it seems to have in abundance. FF Dissidia, Worms Open Warfare 2, Jeanne D'Arc, Disgaea 1+2, Star Ocean, PoPoLoCrois, Tales of Eternia, 2 Monster Hunter games (3rd coming soon), LocoRoco, 3 GTA's, Tomb Raider ports. You can also download PS1 games for it too, the very reason I bought one originally.

They're both pretty great and you won't go wrong with either.

6. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I have a PSP. Back when I was younger (Around age 12-14) I played it a lot. Now, it sits in it's box. Don't think I played it in the last two years.

Then again, I'm not a fan of portable game systems. If I got a DS/DSi it'd be only for Pokémon HeartGold or SoulSilver.

7. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

This is a function of the person and not the machine.

I have a launch day PSP-1000. It's essentially mint, no exterior front plate scratches. It's been with me in harsher environments than most people can imagine. My brother in law gave it to me after two combat tours in Iraq and Afghanistan. And I don't even use a screen protector.

My 64 year old father, OTOH, has a DSLite I bought him a year and a half ago to play those brain games, language games and card games. That thing is beat up.

The UMD thing is a non issue to me. It's easy now to hack the firmware. I rip copies of every game I buy (and I've bought every game that I've played on my PSP) to my HD on my MBP. Then I play the games off of the memory stick. I carry around 40+ games with me that take up no physical space.

That said, I personally find recent and upcoming games on the DS to be much more interesting.

TS. Look at the games of both consoles that you want to play. Look at the games that will be coming out that you want to play. Pick the one that has the most games that you want to play.

8. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Don't bother with the DSi, get a DS Lite instead. There are so many great games and homebrew is really really simple.

9. Hissori macrumors member

Ah thanks for the correction! I hope I didn't confuse the topic poster =(

10. nick1516 macrumors 6502a

nick1516

Get a psp, then you can get an nintendo 3ds when it's released.