Nintendo "in case you thought the 3DS didn't suck enough..."

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by sikkinixx, Sep 7, 2011.

1. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

boom.

Lets add some crappy adaptor to give you a second stick. You know, the stick that it SHOULD HAVE HAD WHEN IT LAUNCHED.

http://kotaku.com/5837871/theres-more-to-learn-about-nintendos-ugly-3ds-add+on
    It's okay. The 3DSi will be out soon enough, and will fix all the problems Nintendo engineers didn't think they had to sort out before they actually took people's money for a half baked product.

*grumble grumble*

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Isn't it being made by Capcom for Monster Hunter Freedom 3DS?
    Capcom also made a dpad overlay for Street Fighter Alpha 3 and (IIRC) a thing to stick onto the analogue nub for the PSP. They also partnered with Sony and made a MH PSP with a larger analogue nub.

The right analogue stick probably controls the camera which can be controlled on the touchscreen too - you have access to the same amount of buttons (just the shoulder buttons) with a controller add-on or with the touchscreen.

There's a lot of knee jerking going on with this add-on.

3. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Man, tEh internet has gone insane over this, if it ends up on Gamasutra!

Now there's even more write ups about how Nintendo obviously doesn't know what they're doing, so here's how they fix it, since there blog makes them some kind of expert... :S

4. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

I heard it was being made for Monster Hunter, then I heard it's an official attachment. None of the first party games need it anyway, and those are the ones that push 3DS sales the most so other than bad PR (which is a monthly thing for Nintendo anyway), it's really not that big a deal.

Meanwhile Starfox 3DS comes out tomorrow. It'll have the same effect that OOT did.

5. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I'll be picking up StarFox tomorrow. This thing can just go away, I'll take a 3DSi instead.

6. sikkinixx thread starter macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

7. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

It just goes to prove how much of a design oversight not putting another nub on the 3DS in the first place was.

Introducing the Nintendo F'Ugly™ Controller for your 3DS.

"When the embarrassment of owning a 3DS wasn't enough - due to the shear banality 3D actually is on the device - now you can look an even bigger TIT next to someone with their aesthetically pleasing PS Vita."

Seriously it just makes me wish they hurry up and get the inevitable 3DSi on the market. I suspect e3 2012 announcement of it.

As for StarFox 64 3D. It's ok but another game where gyroscope control and 3D do not work together at all.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm not keen on the gyroscope control on that game. Works great on Zelda where you can really quickly line up precise shots, not so much this where you're either making larger, continuous gestures.

Weird that the second nub takes another battery, wonder if its wireless? Either way I'm sticking with using the touchscreen as the second nub, even if it is easier to use the add-on nub for extended play sessions.

9. Mr.C macrumors 601

Why do you think the 3D is so bad ?

Having played a number of existing games as well as several up coming games like Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil Revelations, Kid Icarus, Mario Kart 7, Super Mario 3D Land, Luigi's Mansion amongst others when implemented properly the 3D works very well.

10. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

@Mr.C

Because the sweet spot is so finicky that you have o set your neck and arms into a state of paralysis to keep the 3D effect working.

Nothing worse playing a game, moving your head or arms a small tad, losing the 3D effect and then crashing or dieing in game because of it. Sheer frustration.

For that reason likewise Nintendo's insistence on adding gyroscopic control, meaning you are constantly waving your 3DS around, also makes the 3D on your 3DS completely unusable.

Agreed when it works, it works well. Getting it to work for any sustained duration is the problem.

11. Taustin Powers macrumors regular

They also cannot really "use" the 3D effect to actually enhance gameplay functionality, and implement new ideas that aren't possible in 2D. Since 3D can be turned off at any time, every game has to also work in 2D. That, to me, is what makes it a gimmick and nothing more.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

You can also play Xbox and PS3 games in 480i but your kinda losing the point if you do.

13. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

...thank God I ditched the 3DS and decided to go for a Vita.

Nintendo seem to have lost their way on the hardware front. The 3DS is just poorly designed (needed that extra stick from day 1, 3D doesn't work when using accelerometers etc), the WiiU looks like a poor attempt at a new home console and apparently isn't working right either.

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

DS and 3DS games have worked perfectly with a "virtual" analogue nub on the touchscreen since the first days. There's no benefit other than comfort and it's being utilised on games that have long sessions like Monster Hunter. It's not even necessary for the games it works with, let alone needing it from day 1.

It does slightly. I played through OoT with 3D always on and using the gyroscope for additional aiming without losing the 3D effect.
    Huge swinging motions; no. Little turns to line up a shot; yes.

15. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

Try Starfox and compare your depth perception with the 3D on and off. When done right it enhances gameplay.

And if you're not one of those people that get headaches, it's an automatic aesthetic enhancement. Personally, I think the 2D plane feels bland in comparison and I'd rather stick with standard controls than turn off the 3D just to use the gyro.

16. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Pilotwings to me has been the best use of 3D. Then I've always had a sweet spot for it ;)

Despite my irritations with the device though, I have no regrets getting my 3DS as I got cheap trade up from DSi XL, and no doubt I will get the inevitable 3DSi revision - I just hope the 3D sweet spot is improved with more angles supported.

I will get a Vita as well no doubt too :)

17. Mr.C macrumors 601

I still don't get why people insist the 3D is pointless and doesn't work. It works just fine for me and in my opinion it certainly does enhance the normal 2D gameplay. Granted it's not practical when using the gyroscope but otherwise it's a welcome edition. If it used glasses like other 3D devices I'd agree that it's not practical but the fact that it's one of the first implementations of 3D without glasses I think it's a great effort on Nintendo's part.

The only thing lacking at the moment is the number of quality games but I think that that will be addressed in the next few months and next year. I'm really looking forward to Super Mario 3D Land, Mario Kart 7, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil Revelations, Kid Icarus, Luigi's Mansion, Paper Mario, Heroes Of Ruin, and the new Square RPG amongst other games.