Nintendo Launches First Holiday Event in Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 30, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Nintendo last week launched its newest iOS game, a mobile version of Animal Crossing called Pocket Camp, and it's already being updated with new content in the form of a special holiday event.

Typical Animal Crossing games feature special events that take place on a regular basis, and it appears Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp is no exception. The new Christmas-themed event will allow players to earn limited-time clothing items and craft holiday-themed furniture.

[​IMG]

To get the holiday items, players need to fulfill timed goals and complete quests for visiting animals to earn candy canes, so the holiday gameplay is essentially identical to standard gameplay, but with the ability to earn special items.

It takes a lot of candy canes to unlock items, but Nintendo's event will last from November 29 to December 25.

Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Nintendo Launches First Holiday Event in Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp

2. GeneralChang macrumors 65816

You know, I gave this game a try, and I think that Nintendo did a great job with it aside from one critical flaw.

It still feels like Animal Crossing.

3. tkukoc macrumors 65816

tkukoc

I installed it but haven't touched it. People said it was fun but I've not had anytime to attempt anything. Never played the original which is probably another reason why I just haven't gotten into it. Hopefully they add more to Mario or bring something like Excitebike (updated of course) to IOS.

4. chromite macrumors regular

My girlfriend and I are addicted to this game! She’s level 30+ and I’m almost 28. Best free to play game I’ve downloaded in a long time (I haven’t played any of the other Animal Crossing games).

5. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

I’m hooked too. I’m level 29. My husband is into some other game right now and hasn’t played much. Everyone else in the family is into some other game on 3DS or lol, busy with homework, so I’m pretty much the only one playing a lot.

Most of my friends seem to be Japanese judging from the characters used for the names. I have a couple of people who are European. And two with American or Australian names.

Wherever they are from, they’re really quick to help me with the mines. :)

I think I like this game a little better than the other “real” Animal Crossing games because I can pop in and pop out without worrying about missing specific events. I find it relaxing. The animals are still cute. There’s not a lot of depth to it but in the chunks of time in which I have to play, it is entertaining enough.

It kills the battery on my X fast though. Today I decided to play it on my 7 Plus as much as possible and save the battery on my X.

6. Swampthing Suspended

Swampthing

Damn. Who would have expected that? Animal Crossing feels like… Animal Crossing. I think you should start a petition online to complain about that.

7. dazed macrumors 6502a

Wish there was a way to buy the full original game. This is fun but limited.

Would love to be able to plant trees and flowers and put things in the museum.

8. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

I’d like to be able to move the fruit around. I don’t necessarily want to carry it around right away, but I need to let the next batch fall. I’d like to be able to just move and drop the fruit off to the side of the tree until I want to carry it all.

I’d also like to be able to preview the outfits before I buy them.

The holiday items are a nice touch. Kid Cat is turning out to be my cartoon crush in this game.

I signed on with the cute style so I could start out friends with a cat, but as I actually play I find myself drawn to natural and cool styles. I like cool for inside my camper and natural look outdoors. I like visiting other players’ campers and seeing what they’ve done with them.

9. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

It feels like the worst parts of Animal Crossing, I like the real game, but this game is shallow as hell. There is no sense of discovery, it's basically a bunch of farming and fetch quests that you have to do to try and min/max your character. Everything takes way too long to click through and there isn't anything fun about the tasks you are doing. There isn't reason to try and collect new bugs/fish to give to the museum. The world isn't even interconnected so its just a bunch of map jumping to tiny boring areas. It tries to constantly shake out real money from you in order to get new "gear". Plus to top it off you have to be always online, so when you are at your most bored you can't even play it.

I bought my girlfriend the Wii version of Animal Crossing and she loves it way more than the phone one. I highly suggest people picking up literally any other version of Animal Crossing than this one as it's the worst of the bunch. Obviously if you don't like Animal Crossing though like yourself, I suggest not playing any version ;)

10. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

It would be nice if in the future they could provide us with an island that has a museum. I’ve caught a few rare bugs and fish for which there seems to be no purpose. No animal has asked me for them, yet. They are taking up space. It would be nice to be able to display them.

11. GeneralChang macrumors 65816

I've tried a few versions before, and the whole franchise isn't for me. I figured I'd give this one a shot since it's free and Nintendo did the whole freemium thing pretty well with Fire Emblem Heroes, but go figure, still feels like Animal Crossing.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    --- Post Merged, Dec 1, 2017 ---
    I totally did! Feel like signing? I'll message you a link. ;)

12. Swampthing Suspended

Swampthing

No, post it online here so we can all sign!!!