Nintendo Launching 'Animal Crossing' and 'Fire Emblem' on Smartphones This Fall

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 27, 2016.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Nintendo of America has announced that it will release two more smartphone games, based on its popular, long-running franchises Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem, later this year, as part of the Japanese company's commitment to release five smartphone games by March 2017.

[​IMG]

Nintendo fans are cautiously optimistic about the upcoming titles, which will not be direct ports of the console-based games but rather mobile-optimized spinoffs that could involve a series of in-app purchases. Nintendo declined to say whether the games will be free to download on the App Store.

Animal Crossing, based on a simulated world of animals, and Fire Emblem, a tactical RPG, are expected to be "more accessible" and "connected" versions of the traditional console-based games. The titles can currently be played on Nintendo 3DS, Wii U, and multiple other Nintendo platforms.
    Nintendo's first iOS app Miitomo debuted on the App Store last month in partnership with Japanese developer DeNA. The social-based game allows players to create and customize avatars called "Miis," chat with other players, play mini games to earn coins and tickets that can be used towards purchasing new outfits, and more.

Miitomo is believed to be off to a good start for Nintendo, earning the struggling game maker an estimated $280,000 per week in in-app purchases revenue, but the company's most dedicated fans remain hopeful that it will eventually release smartphone games based on its most iconic franchises like Super Mario and Legend of Zelda.

For now, fans will have to make do with Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem.

Article Link: Nintendo Launching 'Animal Crossing' and 'Fire Emblem' on Smartphones This Fall

2. Paradoxally macrumors 68000

3. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Mario. Everyone wants Mario games! Would love some official support for those games on the ATV. Mario tennis was amazing.

4. earthTOmitchel Contributing Editor

earthTOmitchel

Staff Member

Maybe they're setting up the last big mobile title to be Mario?? ~prays~

5. ncbetz macrumors 6502

ncbetz

I love Animal Crossing! It's the only Nintendo game I loved to play.

6. vmachiel macrumors 68000

Mario, Mario kart, hell even smash bros will be perfect. I kinda hope their handhelds decline so they those over to iOS and Android.

7. Pakaku macrumors 68020

Pakaku

Ah, I see.

8. machpost macrumors 6502

machpost

I see. So we can probably forget about ever seeing Mario on the Apple TV unless it's some silly puzzle game.

9. Tubamajuba macrumors 68020

I love Nintendo, but I'm willing to bet these games are going to be freemium junk. Slightly better junk due to the franchises involved, but junk nonetheless.

I would love to be wrong on this.

10. earthTOmitchel Contributing Editor

earthTOmitchel

Staff Member

Hard to say, but it sounds like Animal Crossing and Fire Emblem will at least be more traditional "games," in comparison to Miitomo. So maybe that means they're slowly getting around to the idea of launching actual, main-line experiences on smartphones. But for Apple TV? That prob isn't in the cards, for a while at least.

11. Christoffee macrumors 6502

Christoffee

Animal Crossing will be a great mobile game! Dipping in and out all day will be perfect. Bit of fruit collecting, back to work. Write a letter, talk to my wife. Plant some trees, watch TV. A great low stress game.

12. LordQ Suspended

LordQ

13. rizzo41999 macrumors 6502

rizzo41999

I'm down for Animal Crossing. Used to play on the Gamecube in early 00's, a lot of fun

14. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

Dr. Mario isn't bad.

I've never played a Fire Emblem game before, but I could see myself getting it for iOS.

15. newdeal macrumors 68020

touchscreen controls suck so I hope they don't release any game that is bad simply because the controls aren't good

16. nhannomad macrumors newbie

Fire Emblem all the way!!! I hope they remake Seisen no Keifu.

17. vertsix, Apr 27, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2016

vertsix macrumors 65816

vertsix

This is phenomenal, looking forward to Fire Emblem.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 27, 2016 ---
    Miitomo isn't freemium junk. It doesn't cram in-app purchases down your throat like Clash of Clans or Clash Royale because Nintendo isn't filthy, greedy Supercell.

They care about their intellectual property quite a lot and that people like their games. This is evident in their history.

I want them (and they will probably be, knowing Nintendo) not free but with no in-app purchases. I'd pay $10-15 up front. I don't care. I just want games that are not going to choke me with in-app purchases, which are rare to find on the App Store nowadays.

18. Pakaku macrumors 68020

Pakaku

Those two IPs are slow-paced enough that a smartphone wouldn't hinder them, and they might actually try to do something worth considering a game, and Nintendo is pushing Fire Emblem super hard lately... but I still really doubt these games will match up to something they'd put on their own consoles.

19. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

Yesssssss! If it's on my iPhone I will keep the town up better. I love my 3DS XL but my iPhone is always with me. The 3DS is not.

20. blesscheese macrumors 6502a

blesscheese

I don't play iPhone games. BUT...Animal Crossing on my iPhone? Holy cow, kiss my productivity good-bye!

21. _mdavenport macrumors regular

_mdavenport

Ok but... The people want Super Mario for iOS!

22. GhostHackNinja macrumors newbie

GhostHackNinja

I hate Mario Kart. I don't know why everyone likes it. I like playing games alone.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 27, 2016 ---
    I'm sure they are going to make it as pay-wall as possible:/ just like the sims games on iOS, can't do crap with out spending real money:(

23. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

wait you mean Ctrl, Shift, And C rosebud;: will not work?!

24. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

Heck yeah! I'm 16, so Animal Crossing was a huge part of my childhood, started playing the GameCube version when I was four and I still love the series! I don't play them much anymore but I occasionally get addicted here and there. I would be much more addicted and willing to buy if it was a full animal crossing game on my phone or iPad... Even the ATV4 would be really cool. Fire Emblem was pretty good too, that would be epic. I can see how they'd turn that into a card-based freemium game like clash royale though...
    It probably will be like those stupid animal crossing spinoffs, "Animal Crossing: Amiibo Festival" or something or other. I HATE that. Bring me an actual game. Nintendo needs to suck it up and realize their console sales are down. Just start making games for other people's consoles. The games will stil sell like crazy. Have a full fledged animal crossing game or Pokemon game or fire emblem etc right on iOS, or Apple TV.
    Absolutely. I feel the game would really benefit from the iOS ecosystem, and like everybody has an iOS device, multiplayer would benefit a ton. It's a huge area of potential for the franchise but it kinda has been thrown by nintendo's weird way of doing things and small market share.

25. earthTOmitchel Contributing Editor

earthTOmitchel

Staff Member

This, exactly. Can you imagine how awesome it would be if it fully integrated some kind of asynchronous online multiplayer? Add friends, and then pop into their town even when they're away (limit destruction possibilities, but let me chat with their neighbors, leave notes, etc). Not only that but push notifications for the insane amount of special events, like fishing tourneys or even your favorite neighbor's birthday. Or better yet, when you set a time for a neighbor to come over which I would ALWAYS forget on GameCube/DS versions.

Honestly, there are too many sweet ideas for this franchise to work beautifully on iOS for Nintendo to leave it all on the table for some disappointing remix of Happy Home Designer. I see a lot of complaining about IAPs, but I'm gonna compare it to The Simpsons: Tapped Out. That game has TONS of buildings, characters, quests, etc, that are blocked behind IAPs, but it doesn't hinder the main game in any way. In three years, I've spent no money in that game, and I think my Springfield is pretty awesome.

There's a way Nintendo could fish for those players who will spend money, but leave everyone else with an enjoyable experience, and the Animal Crossing series has far and away enough random crap to lock some behind a paywall and leave the rest for the normal game.