Nintendo on the iPhone?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by blancoBronco, Jul 31, 2009.

1. blancoBronco macrumors 6502a

blancoBronco

I just read an article that said Nintendo is blaming the iPhone for a decline in its sales recently. Why don't they just make some iPhone games? I would definitely buy Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda, or Pokemon if they made an iPhone version. Does anyone else think this could work? If so, what other Nintendo games could/should be brought to the iPhone?

2. lemonademaker macrumors 6502a

lemonademaker

In a Van Down By The River! Metro Detroit!
    i'm not a gamer.. that said... I can't believe they wouldn't do that... EA brought Tiger woods and other to the iphone.... just can't image the wouldn't make the "classics" available for the iPhone...

how about pitfall! I'd say poll position but i'm sure there are many much better driving games now...LOL

I guess we'll see

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I'm not one for buying games, but I might actually buy Zelda.

4. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Since they have a download service for the DSi, I doubt they'll do it. If it's anything like the Wii download service, there will be a lot of classic games on there. If you're selling a $150 device, you don't wannt cut into that.

For the "Duck Hunt" post, that was an unlicensed version created that Nintendo had pulled within a day or two.

5. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Yeah, Zelda's awesome; I can remember getting the Nintendo for my son and I would Bogart Zelda until like 3:00AM.....:eek::eek::eek:

6. blancoBronco thread starter macrumors 6502a

blancoBronco

Well, if they are saying the iPhone is stealing their business, don't you think they would try to throw their name into the App Store? Why not? Apple and Nintendo aren't competitors (til now), so I think it's a good idea. And Apple's downloading service is a lot better than the Wii's or DSi's.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I wouldn't hold my breath... people have been begging Nintendo to push their signature characters (from the Mario, Zelda, Metroid, DK, Wario, etc., games) multi-platform for ages, and they have (almost) always steadfastly refused to port their games off their hardware. No one knows for sure, of course. But unless the recession really continues to pummel their income, it seems hard to see why they'd change their approach.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I have Duck Hunt. I got it before it was taken down. :p

That said, Nintendo has been seen stating that having apps for sale in the App store would hinder DS/i sales. Clearly this is happening regardless. However, as an owner of a DS I would not want to give it up even if they came to the app store. I want both actually.

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

This is the same as asking why Apple won't sell OS X to run on Dells and HPs.

Nintendo software runs on Nintendo hardware. If they start putting their software elsewhere their hardware sales will tank, which is the main part of their business.

And that's the big question for Nintendo. What to do? They can either make better hardware that people will want instead of an iPod, or just give up on hardware and become a software company for other devices.

Both hard choices, but I don't think the middle option (keep making hardware, but selling less because you're putting your software on the iPod) is gonna do it. They have to go one way or the other.

10. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

Nintendo has never put one of their games on a competitors hardware. I dont see it ever happening.

11. blancoBronco thread starter macrumors 6502a

blancoBronco

True, but even though I still love some of Nintendo's great games (Zelda, Pokemon, Donkey Kong, etc.), I would never walk around with a DS or Gameboy, I feel that I'm too old for those. But if I have it on my iPhone, I don't have to worry about the embarrassment factor. I can play the games when I want, but still have the maturity of the iPhone.

12. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

You're telling me I missed duck hunt from the app store?

Hot damn!

13. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

I would embrace Nintendo with open arms and an open wallet if they came to the iPhone.

14. alent1234 macrumors 603

cost

they get around $10 per game. if they sell on the app store it would be less. and Nintendo always makes money on the hardware unlike sony and MS

supposedly Sony is going to start making a PSP cell phone for a 2011 release

these companies have 2 choices. design hardware that is a lot more powerful than the iphone, which is probably the most powerful cell phone on the planet now. or get out of the mobile hardware business and sell only software like Sega did

same thing might happen with consoles as well. 1080p TV's are standard these days and when the next generation of consoles comes out it won't be like the last 10 years where we saw first 3d graphics come on the scene and then TV tech make a big jump. when the x-box first came out the PC version of it's graphics card was around $500. i think when the next gen consoles come out the hardware required won't be as powerful as before and we might see a software only solution as well. it's already cheaper buying the x-box that has more features than the apple TV

15. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

Well Nintendo has one thing going for it in that people probably aren't likely to buy their children an iPhone. Even if you want you child to have a cell phone, that is alot of phone for a kid.

The DS and DSi are still both less expensive than an iPod Touch so that is a plus too.

The real problem is the software though. Cartridge releases are really too expensive on DS. Do I buy Final Fantasy IV for $40 or Zenonia for $2.99? Yes, the games on DS are fun, but the iPhone/iPod Touch has some really high quality software at budget prices.

There have been a few good games released on DSiWare (ArtStyle Games, Mario vs. Donkey Kong, Mighty Flip Champs) but not enough to compete with the iPhone.

In the end, I don't see dedicated gamers giving up their DS's and PSP's because of the classic franchises available but I do see the iPhone taking a huge bite out of their market share with more casual gamers.

Oh and I agree with the poster above. I have my iPhone with me everywhere and feel less self conscious about pulling it out than a DS or PSP, even though I know that is silly.

16. gunraidan macrumors regular

You do realize that Nintendo releasing their games on non-Nintendo platforms would be like Apple releasing OS X for non Mac Computers. It will never happen.

17. nickrinaldi macrumors regular

punch out

punch out would work well on iphone:)

18. ImNoSuperMan macrumors 65816

ImNoSuperMan

I m sure they`d be able to sell a lot of games @10$ in AppStore. People will easily pay that much for Mario n Zelda on iPhone. Provided they do not go the sega route and create a polished version of the game which actually takes advantages of iPhone`s hardware. But history tells, Ninty well never do this. There are more chances of a NintyPhone:eek: then selling games on AppStore.