MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Nintendo shares jumped by nearly a quarter today following the runaway success of its long-awaited Pokémon Go mobile game released last week (via Reuters).

Stock spiked as much as 25% ($7.5 billion), a record since it began trading in Tokyo in 1983. According to Bloomberg, shares of the Kyoto-based company have climbed 34% in the past two days of trading after the game was released for iPhone and Android devices.

Pokemon-GO-iOS-screenshots.jpg

For those unfamiliar with Pokémon Go, the game uses augmented reality and real-world maps so users can venture into the real world to look for Pokémon to capture. Once collected, Pokémon can be leveled up and used for battle, with in-app purchases forming part of the game's progress mechanic.

The game debuted at the top of the App Store's Free Apps Chart in the U.S., Australia and New Zealand last week and is set to be released in Japan and other major markets soon.

The game itself was created by Niantic, spun off from Google last year, and The Pokémon Company. Nintendo owns a third of Pokémon Company and both have undisclosed stakes in Niantic.

Many iPhone users in India, Singapore, Germany and the U.K. appear to be unwittingly downloading fake app Go Catch Em All, which is also hovering around the top spot in regional Free Apps charts. Pocket Go Poke Evolution and Poke Poke Go are two other clones feeding off Nintendo's success story.

Speaking to TechInsider, Pokémon developers Niantic promised that Go players will soon be able to trade characters, encouraging more interaction in the AR world. Other new features will include more ways to play with Pokéstops and Gyms (the landmarks where players restock on items, gain experience, and battle other users for control).

Pokemon GO is available in the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Nintendo Shares Jump by 25% on 'Pokémon Go' Mobile Success

JohnApples

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2014
Just wanna pop in before the slew of negative comments. I've had a blast reliving my childhood and going out catching Pokemon. I've gotten more exercise this past week than I think I have in any given year :p Not to mention how many other GO players I've met, and new friends I've made! This has been awesome so far.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
We've gone on multiple, hour long, after dinner walks in nice scenic areas as a family thanks to this game. That's priceless.

Heh, a few of my basement-dwelling colleagues said the same. They've seen more sunlight these past few days than they normally would in a month.

Anything that encourages getting a bit of fresh air and going on a walk is absolutely fine by me! :)

andyyardley

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2010
I've just been on a run around central London at lunch time collecting Pokémon and Pokéballs. It's a brilliant idea, the execution leads a lot to be desired but providing Nintendo keep working on improving the software and adding features it should have longevity especially with it being branded Pokémon.

I'll expect a whole load of other game studios are now looking at producing similar products and monetising them. But if it gets people moving and exercising then i'm all for it.

Robbolt

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2016

When will it be released in Canada!

Nintendo shares jumped by nearly a quarter today following the runaway success of its long-awaited Pokémon Go mobile game released last week (via Reuters).

Stock spiked as much as 25% ($7.5 billion), a record since it began trading in Tokyo in 1983. According to Bloomberg, shares of the Kyoto-based company have climbed 34% in the past two days of trading after the game was released for iPhone and Android devices.

Pokemon-GO-iOS-screenshots.jpg

For those unfamiliar with Pokémon Go, the game uses augmented reality and real-world maps so users can venture into the real world to look for Pokémon to capture. Once collected, Pokémon can be leveled up and used for battle, with in-app purchases forming part of the game's progress mechanic.

The game debuted at the top of the App Store's Free Apps Chart in the U.S., Australia and New Zealand last week and is set to be released in Japan and other major markets soon.

The game itself was created by Niantic, spun off from Google last year, and The Pokémon Company. Nintendo owns a third of Pokémon Company and both have undisclosed stakes in Niantic.

Many iPhone users in India, Singapore, Germany and the U.K. appear to be unwittingly downloading fake app Go Catch Em All, which is also hovering around the top spot in regional Free Apps charts. Pocket Go Poke Evolution and Poke Poke Go are two other clones feeding off Nintendo's success story.

Speaking to TechInsider, Pokémon developers Niantic promised that Go players will soon be able to trade characters, encouraging more interaction in the AR world. Other new features will include more ways to play with Pokéstops and Gyms (the landmarks where players restock on items, gain experience, and battle other users for control).

Pokemon GO is available in the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Nintendo Shares Jump by 25% on 'Pokémon Go' Mobile Success

solarguy17

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
I never played Poemon growing up but I downloaded this game and it is a ton of fun. But I would suggest some sort of tutorial and explainer for those the never played Pokemon.

Reactions: Michael Scrip

mmgallucci

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2016
london
Here in the Uk a bunch of us have resorted to getting a US iTunes account to join in on the phenomenon.
and boy! what a phenomenon!

It's not out here yet, but there are so many players already playing, I've enjoyed long walks and park excursions, plenty of exercise and I even convince myself to walking to work so I can detour to hit a few gyms.

It's also helped a friend of mine who suffers from agoraphobia get out and about! Overall I can't fault this app, most addictive and enjoyable app I've downloaded and for the first time a game that makes people go out and about and be social!

Reactions: kupkakez and CarlJ

now i see it

macrumors 604
Jan 2, 2002
Some that explains why people are walking around on a beautiful day in beautiful surroundings staring down at a iPhone.

Reactions: Bonte

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I would suggest some sort of tutorial and explainer for those the never played Pokemon.

I agree that the game needs some sort of tutorial/explainer, but for everyone. The game has next to nothing to do with Pokemon games on Nintendo's handheld systems.

Anyways... I think my wife and I have been cheating. We've just been driving around and catching pokemon and getting pokeballs from pokestops. One of us drives while the other plays and tells us where to turn or when to pull over. We've seen lots of people, especially in groups, walking around and looking back and forth between their iPhone and their surroundings, but we haven't seen anyone else playing this game in their cars, yet.

GrumpyMom

macrumors G3
Sep 11, 2014
Get off my lawn! That's MY Pikachu!

I live in a semi rural area. We've had a lot of trespassers cutting through while looking for Pokemon in a neighbor's yard. Somebody is going to end up stepping in a cow pie trying to get a Charmander or whatever the hell it is.

I'm going back to my hometown (bad neighborhood) and visit my parents and see if there are actually Pokemon in the park near their house. That park is a notorious drug market. The dealers are going to be so po'd if it turns out their territory is a Pokemon gym and they get overrun. I do feel sorry for the kids who still live there. I hope they find safe places to catch Pokemon.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Immagine what Mario could to to the shares :D

I don't think Mario on mobile would do anything for non-gamers. Pokemon GO works really well because it appeals to everyone and is very social.

I do wonder whether Pokemon GO will be a short fad or something that lasts. I've only launched it once so far today, and only for a few seconds.

Reactions: lars666

croco_dile

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2016
We've gone on multiple, hour long, after dinner walks in nice scenic areas as a family thanks to this game. That's priceless.

Does it really matter if its 'scenic area' or 'as a family', when all people do is staring at is their screen. I see group after group of people walking with their eyes stuck to their screen like zombies. Let's be honest, there is nothing priceless about that experience.

Reactions: Staindsoul

jclardy

macrumors 68040
Oct 6, 2008
Remember Draw Something?

While I agree this has been an international phenomenon, I wonder if it'll have legs.
I do remember, but I think this will have staying power for a few reasons. First - draw something was based on social sharing - web social sharing. Pokemon Go has zero social capabilities built in the app - everything grew organically in the real world. That is the real difference. People are meeting up and organizing groups outside of the app itself. That said, I think there will be a pretty big falloff if they don't release an update soon - the battery drain is real. Plus they seriously need trading/battling your friends.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Awesome! Interesting isn't it, I cant imagine playing this on my 3DS but I also can't imagine playing a traditional Pokemon RPG on an iPhone. Nintendo are pretty good at working out what to do with platforms.

We did the same years ago when Pokemon Heart Gold+Soul Silver were released with pedometers, going for walks just to level up our teams. Nintendo in general are keen to get people out and about, the 3DS has a feature where by walking you gain coins to spend in games, and some games have features that connect to people you walk past. So in Pokemon you can visit bases built by others and challenge their teams. It's all really awesome stuff - I'm surprised Apple haven't added anything like this to iOS.

I think it all stems back to the first Pokemon games anyways, with trading and battling people using the link cable.
[doublepost=1468245908][/doublepost]
I don't think Mario on mobile would do anything for non-gamers. Pokemon GO works really well because it appeals to everyone and is very social.

I do wonder whether Pokemon GO will be a short fad or something that lasts. I've only launched it once so far today, and only for a few seconds.

Which makes it no different to any other game. All games are temporary, even big ones like Minecraft will eventually die out for their sequels. I think Nintendo can carry this on, though I wonder how playable it'll be compared to the traditional games that can be playing from start to finish offline. Don't forget Gamefreak/Nintendo pulled their Pokedex iOS app rather than update it.

Pokemon games are social so they have the potential to last a while. Mario, at its core, is just a single-player obstacle course. Can't imagine other Nintendo games working like Pokemon Go.

Reactions: Watabou
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.