Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The battle arena game "Pokémon Unite," which has to date only been available on the Nintendo Switch, is set to come to iOS, iPadOS, and Android on September 22, Nintendo has today announced.

pokemon-unite.jpg

Pokémon Unite is a free-to-play online multiplayer game that was first released for Nintendo Switch on July 21. In the game, players face off against each other in five-a-side battles. During battles, players must cooperate with their teammates to catch wild Pokémon, level up and evolve their own Pokémon, and strategically defeat their opponents. To win the match, players have to earn more points than the opposing team within the allotted time.

Cross-platform play will be available across Nintendo Switch and mobile devices, enabling players to link their accounts on both versions of the game to sync their progression, saved data, and characters.

Preregistration and sign-up for a notification when the game is available for download is now available on the App Store and Google Play Store. Nintendo has said that if preregistration for the mobile version of the game reaches 2.5 million, players will receive a "Pikachu Unite" license or "Aeos coins." If preregistration numbers hit five million, players will receive a "Holowear—Festival Style: Pikachu."

Article Link: Nintendo Switch Game 'Pokémon Unite' Coming to iOS and iPadOS on September 22

• Love
Reactions: George Dawes

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
This is a surprising move... how involved was Nintendo in this project? I don't think Nintendo has ever brought the exact same game to both their own platforms and other platforms...

If Nintendo is just looking to maximize the number of people playing this game and doesn't want it to be a system seller, why wouldn't they also release it for the Xbox and Playstation as well? I guess those devices are more explicitly competition against the Switch...

Reactions: Premium1

somnolentsurfer

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2008
This is a surprising move... how involved was Nintendo in this project? I don't think Nintendo has ever brought the exact same game to both their own platforms and other platforms...
Both Pokemon Quest and Pokemon Cafe Mix were released for Switch and Mobile.

kalafalas

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2008
California
Shame that you cannot play it alone against the computer. I have social anxiety when it comes to online games. I just can’t
By default voice and text chat are disabled, and the game is still very fun without social interaction beyond map pings. It's really nice playing a game against players that move like real people and not bots, aside from how they move and react to your moves you would never know they aren't bots

Mpalmieri1203

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2007

If Nintendo is just looking to maximize the number of people playing this game and doesn't want it to be a system seller, why wouldn't they also release it for the Xbox and Playstation as well? I guess those devices are more explicitly competition against the Switch...
Surprisingly Nintendo owns a huge stake on Pokémon but they don’t own the whole stake. The Pokémon Company has pretty big say in where their games go.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Surprisingly Nintendo owns a huge stake on Pokémon but they don’t own the whole stake. The Pokémon Company has pretty big say in where their games go.
I'm invested in Nintendo, but I feel in the dark about the relation between the two companies.

When a Pokemon game sells, how much of the money goes to Nintendo vs The Pokemon Company? How does financing development work - is Nintendo paying or TPC? What about all the Pokemon branded Switch accessories?

What keeps the games from going to Xbox or Playstation? I think Nintendo is the publisher of the games... so that rules out the games going to those platforms? (Unless Nintendo has an agreement with Microsoft... I'm surprised how much Microsoft has been willing to work with Nintendo, between Minecraft and characters in Super Smash Bros... surely Microsoft has to be getting something special out of this deal?)

Regbial

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
This game is horribly designed and Pay to Win. (see MoistCritical/Penguinz0's videos on it on Youtube) ... Just a mindless timewaster money well designed to pray on the excessive Pokemon fandom for the chinese company Tencent. (which has links to the government, of course...) The best thing one can do is skip this. Even Pokemon Go, which has massive profits, has a little more respect for it's players.

I mean you could build up a strong team as a Free to Play player... but it takes a lot of time sinking. And then they'll probably change the meta adding new stronger pokemon and all you invested is null.. These free to play games are a headache sometimes. -_-

TinaBelcher

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2017
Personally, I don't understand the appeal of this game. I prefer to play traditional Pokemon games alongside Go, where you're a trainer and have to catch them and evolve them

Reactions: Regbial

Juiceboy

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2011
I've played about 8 hours on switch. It's really fun, and i haven't had the need to pay a single Dollar for anything. The menu is complicated and annoying (which is probably on purpose) but the actual gameplay is really good and every "Unite licence" character is unique in their own way.

Reactions: Regbial

slowpoke

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2007
Bellona
This game is horribly designed and Pay to Win. (see MoistCritical/Penguinz0's videos on it on Youtube) ... Just a mindless timewaster money well designed to pray on the excessive Pokemon fandom for the chinese company Tencent. (which has links to the government, of course...) The best thing one can do is skip this. Even Pokemon Go, which has massive profits, has a little more respect for it's players.

I mean you could build up a strong team as a Free to Play player... but it takes a lot of time sinking. And then they'll probably change the meta adding new stronger pokemon and all you invested is null.. These free to play games are a headache sometimes. -_-
afaik acquiring and levelling up held items is the only part of the game that involves persistent progress so aside from the grind needed to unlock new pokemon there's no reason their introduction would invalidate the time you've already put in

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.